The Internship Application as Told by Game of Thrones

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

It’s March. You’ve scored the internet and pored over emails to find the perfect summer internship. You have a list of internships with deadlines so you can be efficient and crank the applications out. The easy part is over. Now, you must write your cover letter and tailor your resume. 

Two rows behind you in class, you hear a conversation about an amazing internship someone has already locked down. FOMO seeps into your pores, and you can’t wait to get out of class so you can send out those applications and get an internship of your own.

Back in your room, you’re ready to write that cover letter and land your dream internship.

But when you have the internship description open on Safari and an empty word doc staring out at you, you begin to wonder if an internship is really the best thing for you this summer. Netflix, the pool, friends–where’s the summer of your youth?

But you know you’ve got to do this. You hammer something out and start to feel confident about your chances.

Until you notice that you misspelled the name of the company.

You proofread, reread, and re-reread. You’ve typed your letter and polished your resume. You applaud yourself for finishing! But it’s not quite over. There’s still the email to the internship coordinator to compose.

You write all about how you’re grateful for this opportunity and look forward to hearing from them soon. The pleasantries… 

Now it’s time to let your application out into the world. You take a deep breath…

And hit “send.”

You feel elated, accomplished, on top of the world. 

But the feeling fades as the days go by. You vacillate between forgetting all about your application and constantly checking your email for a reply. 

All you can do is wait. A reply will come, sooner or later.

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8pm in the Morcott Room.