Have Yourself A Tacky Campus Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Were you the kid who woke her parents up at 5 a.m. to open gifts on Christmas morning? Do you start playing Christmas music November 1? Do you keep your Christmas tree up until mid January? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you might be looking for ways to express your holiday cheer before heading home for Winter Break. Here are six ideas to celebrate the holidays in tacky college style.

1.     Tie a wreath to your bike.

You might not have a car on campus, or even if you do, not many people see it. So how does one accomplish the traditional wreath-on front-bumper look in college? Easy–use your bike. Don’t have any transportation of the two or four wheel variety? Strap a wreath to your backpack. You’ll leave a trail of nicely scented pine needles in the halls of Chambers.

2.     Make a beer can wreath.

At Davidson, we’re all about innovative ways to be eco-friendly. What says you love Christmas, recycling, and having a good time better than a beer can wreath? Hang yours on the door to your apartment to tell the world that you’re open for business. This idea raises an important question: how many wreaths could you make from the cans leftover at F on a Sunday morning? 

3.      Use your “collector” Christmas plates.

Your mom has been collecting those annual Christmas plates since she found out she was pregnant with you. You’ve never used them at home, so why not bring one with you to Commons or Union? What could bring you more Christmas cheer than eating chicken parm or a quesadilla on gold-rimmed china?

4.    Repurpose inflatable lawn ornaments.

Who said you need a lawn to use lawn ornaments? Everyone on your hall will love you if you put a giant inflatable snow globe or Santa outside your door. 

5.     Wear your grandma’s sweater.

Don’t be the kid who feigns excitement when she receives a knitted sweater from her grandmother for the tenth Christmas in a row, only to throw it into the back of her closet December 26. Embrace the sweater’s itchy warmth, and wear it during finals when no one is showering/sleeping anyway. Then take a picture of yourself in the sweater to share with grams over break.

6.     Assemble your own ornament.

Have yourself a Miley little Christmas. For a disconcerting conflation of court party debauchery and Christmas tradition, make this trendy Christmas ornament. Warning: you’ll never be able to look at ornaments the same way. On the plus side, though, you now have an excuse to add “Wrecking Ball” to your Christmas playlist. Explain that one to your great-aunt.

December is finally here. Take a break from studying for finals, and make it a tacky Christmas, collegiettes!

With my pale skin and curly hair, it might look like I spend all of my days in the library--which I totally could because I LOVE to read--but I promise I don't. I am an avid subscriber to Vogue, Lucky, and InStyle (you can infer my passion for shopping from that, right?). When I can't find what I want on the racks, I'll sew it myself. Elizabeth Taylor, Gregory Peck, Ingrid Bergman, Audrey Hepburn, and Grace Kelly are my style icons, not to mention stars in some of my favorite classic movies. Little Rock, AR native and Davidson, NC resident. Instagram - elaineruthb Twitter - @ElaineRuthBoe