Groovin’ with Catfish Disco

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

If you had the chance to jam out at Kappa Sigma’s Woodstock party a few weekends ago, you probably already know about Catfish Disco. If you missed out on swaying like a flower child to 60s psychedelic music, you might have at least heard good things about the band. We have so much musical talent here at Davidson, and it’s always nice to see it appreciated. So I took some time last week to sit down with the members of Catfish Disco and get to know them a little better.

First things first, why the quirky name “Catfish Disco?” To be honest, I don’t even think they know the answer to that question. All I know is that they were debating between that and “Skunk Rodeo.” I guess the eccentric name fits the band’s unique vibe.

Catfish Disco was actually formed just a couple weeks ago, with Woodstock being their debut performance. Its roots are in the band formerly known as Jam I Am, whose members all graduated with the exception of junior Tom Champion (guitar) and sophomore Jack Owens (vocals & bass). The other members of Catfish Disco include senior Peter Bowman (keyboard), freshman Thomas Waddill (guitar), freshman Evan Stack (drums), and freshman Laura Searles (vocals). The band members usually switch off on vocals, and are pretty laid back about who plays what instrument. Basically, they are all very talented so they just kind of switch it up depending on whatever the music requires.  

When I chatted them up about their musical tastes and influences, their answers were quite eclectic, to say the least. They apparently really dig James Brown and Kenny G, are all about the Charlie Brown Christmas Album, and Jack Owens likes to channel his inner Ke$ha. The overall musical feel they aim for can be anything ranging from rock, pop, funk, blues, and jazz. But they say their ultimate goal is to get people pumped up and dancing. Everyone having a good time is what’s most important to them.

With all the positive feedback from their first performance, we can expect to see much more from Catfish Disco in the near future. They’re definitely planning to do many more shows, whether it’s for various PCC events or a casual gig at Summit Outpost. We might even look forward to a Saturday afternoon outdoor show on Patterson Court lawn sometime…Frolics, perhaps? However, they don’t intend to stay a cover band for much longer. Many of the members write music, and they plan on incorporating their ideas together to possibly start writing their own songs. In fact, one of their main goals right now is to record a 4 or 5 song EP by the end of the year. Their sound guy, Aidan Scrivens, another former member of Jam I Am, is currently helping them out with recording and all that other cool stuff that goes into making music.

After spending just a few minutes with Catfish Disco, I could tell that they were all super passionate about their music and genuinely excited to keep playing more shows at more venues. So check out their Facebook page and be sure to like it to stay updated!

https://www.facebook.com/catfishdisco?fref=ts

And a quick shout out. Catfish Disco recently signed up to be a potential act at Warner Hall’s service event H.A.R.T., so if you want to support both your friends in Catfish Disco and HIV/AIDS awareness, donate so we can hear them jam again!

http://warnerhallservice.com/donations/catfish-disco/