Formal footwear: How to make your outfit and your feet happy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Ahhh, Spring. The sun is shining, the birds are chirping, the flowers are blooming, and I think I just spotted some coolers being painted on Belk lawn. Along with this glorious weather comes the annual tradition of formal-going. For an evening or for a weekend, collegiettes dress up and head off campus for some end-of-the-year fancy fun.

Formal usually comes with the expectation of wearing a pair of heels to complement your lovely attire. Well, if you’re headed to the beach, the city, or the quarry, heels probably aren’t your best option (if you want to be able to walk the next morning). I mean, after I wore heels to semiformal my toes were numb for a week. So don’t be like me… instead, wear a pair of cute wedges, flats, or sandals to your formal of choice. You’ll dance the night away in style and wake up with happy feet.

If you’re going for the sporty-chic look, high top chucks are always in style. Grab a fresh pair in a color that complements your outfit.
For the more sophisticated sneaker look, go with these espadrille sneakers. They’ll keep your feet cool and ready to dance.
These sandals are minimalist in style but maximalist in cute. They’d go with anything, and could be worn the next day with jeans or shorts.
The gladiator look is always a great option. They go with pretty much everything and look good while doing it. Be careful with tan lines though… I highly recommend sunscreen with these babies.
If you’re looking for more height, try a pair of wedges. This way, your heels won’t sink into the sand or grass and your feet won’t be in as much pain the day after.

TOMS of all kinds are also great options: with tons of patterns and fabrics to choose from, you can find a shoe that fits your style. Plus, the company sends a pair of shoes to someone in need with each pair that you buy.

If you pick the right kind of footwear, you’re bound to have the right kind of night. I can’t wait to see you all dancing the night away in a cute and comfy pair of kicks!