Flag Etiquette for Collegiettes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

September 11th just passed and with that Patriot Day–a day to commemorate those 2,977 people that were killed in the attack on U.S. soil that day. There are a lot of other deaths and injuries and hurt that came on that day, or from that day, but Patriot Day is for those 2,977 people and their families, loved ones, and close friends who deserve space on that day to take as they see fit.

While there are debates about how Americans continue to commemorate the day and the pain or healing that they do or do not bring about, one symbol remains, in my opinion, appropriate to hang properly on this day: the flag of the United States of America.

I’m a proud flag-freak. I love this country and I love this country’s flag and I demand respect for the flag. Do I understand that there are people who feel differently about the country and the flag? Yes.  Will I still ask that you respect the symbol? Yes.

Charles Thompson, the Secretary of the Continental Congress, eloquently described the meaning behind the Stars and Stripes. “The colors of the pales (the vertical stripes) are those used in the flag of the United States of America; White signifies purity and innocence, Red, hardiness & valour, and Blue, the color of the Chief (the broad band above the stripes) signifies vigilance, perseverance & justice.”  

See, to me, the flag is so much more than the problems or the **greatness** of this country. It represents the complicated, painful, triumphant mess of our history and I proudly fly it whenever possible. Part of that “proudly” includes knowing the practices and the guidelines to show respect to this flag and this country. So, without further ado:

(Please note these flag etiquette rules as taken from http://www.usflag.org, and the added emphasis is mine–those are the ones I see most applicable and necessary on campus.)

• The flag should never be dipped to any person or thing. It is flown upside down only as a distress signal.

• The flag should not be used as a drapery, or for covering a speaker’s desk, draping a platform, or for any decoration in general. Bunting of blue, white and red stripes is available for these purposes. The blue stripe of the bunting should be on the top.

• The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use. Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard.

• The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, fireman, policeman and members of patriotic organizations.

See, it’s ok because it’s not the ACTUAL flag

• When a flag is so worn it is no longer fit to serve as a symbol of our country, it should be destroyed by burning in a dignified manner.

• When the flag is lowered, no part of it should touch the ground or any other object; it should be received by waiting hands and arms.

• The flag should be raised briskly and lowered slowly and ceremoniously. Ordinarily it should be displayed only between sunrise and sunset. It should be illuminated if displayed at night.

• The flag is to be flown at half staff in mourning for designated, principal government leaders and upon presidential or gubernatorial order.

A little obsessive about food blogs, books, Netflix, running, and obviously sleeping. It's not what you do, I say, but how you do it.