Campus Cutie: Mary Click

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Name: Mary Click

Class: 2016

Hometown: Atlanta, Georgia

Relationship Status: *awkward silence* “In a relationship…no comment” (sorry everyone, she is off the market)

Major: English

Eating House: Turner

Activities: Writing for the Davidsonian (modestly adding “I am a news editor” a few seconds later)

Last week, we were lucky enough to spend some time with one of Davidson’s cute, kind, and quirky English majors.  Mary interrupted her essay writing to meet with us on 4th Union surrounded by excerpts of Puritan poetry and a literary criticism that was much longer than my attention span.  Before we even had time to ask our first question, Mary told us that she thought we were joking when we told her she was this week’s Campus Cutie.  Besides the obvious modesty, Mary charmed us with her relaxed, comfortable approach to life, and her exceptional taste in books. 

Siblings: “I have 3 siblings- an older sister, Eleanore, an older brother, Kelly, and a younger sister, Sarah.  I am a middle child, so I get along with everyone.”

Favorite pastimes: Reading and watching Food Network

Favorite Book: “The Secret History by Donna Tartt” (I almost died because this is also my favorite book!! Everyone should read it!), “but I also really enjoyed Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro” (another great book! Mary obviously has excellent taste!)!

Study Abroad: “I studied abroad in Florence last fall, and I spent the summer on the Cambridge Program (with yours truly)!”

Favorite Study Abroad Memory: “I have several. In Florence, I won a free 10 day bus tour of eastern Europe in a tour-company raffle.  I went to Budapest, Prague, Slovenia, and Krakow with one of my friends from Florence.”

“I really liked writing my travel blog, The Mary Traveller on the Cambridge Program.” (she is also really good at making puns)

Favorite Davidson Memory: “That is really hard…I really like the beginning of each school year when everyone is reunited and everyone is saying hello to each other. It is really nice because everyone knows everyone here.”

Celebrity Crush: “Benedict Cumberbatch. Who could resist those cheekbones?”

Hogwarts House: “I’m definitely a Hufflepuff- welcoming and inclusive. They are the underdog and no one wants to admit to being a Hufflepuff.”

Spirit Animal: Slow Loris

Pets: “I had a dog named Lance. He was a weird, little Beagle.”

Dream Job: “Maybe something with mental health.  My mom is getting a masters in mental health counseling, and I might follow in her footsteps.”

Guilty Pleasure: “I really like to eat big bowls of cereal late at night. Which is really bad for you. I shouldn’t do that, but somehow, cereal tastes better right before you go to sleep.” [ed. note: it’s not bad for you, it’s too delicious and cereal-y for that!]

Favorite Disney Princess: “Belle” (they both like books!)

Fun Facts: “I have one pointy ear and one round ear. I like to say I am half elf.”

Andrew Peterson is a member of the Class of 2018 at Davidson College. He was born in Elkin, North Carolina and attended the North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics (NCSSM).  After graduation, Andrew came to Davidson, where he is an English major and an Neuroscience minor on the pre-med track.   He began writing for HerCampus during his sophomore year, and most of his articles are human interst pieces highlighitng unique individuals at Davidson.  When he is not writing for HerCampus, Andrew serves as President of Timmy Global Health, a committee head for Dinner at Davidson, Programming and Publicity head of the Civic Engagement Council, a founder and organizer of TEDxDavidson, a University Innovation Fellow with Davidson I&E, and a regular volunteer at Ada Jenkins Free Clinic.  During his time at Davidson, Andrew has spent a summer studying British Literature at Cambridge University, lead two medical service tripes to Quito, Ecuador, went on his first mission to Nicaragua with the Chaplain's Office, and spent a summer conducing biomedial research at NYU Dental School. If you would like to learn more about Andrew, feel free to reach out to him at anpeterson@davidson.edu.