Are Social Media Makeup Trends Ruining Our Individuality?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Social media has done a huge service for makeup artists everywhere, don’t get me wrong; with sites such as Tumblr, YouTube and Instagram, artists of all skill levels can now show off their creations to the world with just a hashtag and tap of a finger. Before becoming mega popular, these apps were places where MUAs (make-up artists) could unleash their creativity away from the mainstream of magazine editorials, commercials, and other traditional forms of media. Now that society has shifted further away from old media, these websites have become a hub for the new “mainstream,” the new standard for what’s trending today. In theory, this is absolutely great. Allowing everyone to have a form of unlimited creative license is wonderful, but that’s not exactly what I, and many other MUAs, see on these social media platforms. Lately, there’s been something a little more sinister brewing on the “Discover” page.

MUAs and makeup users, in general, are now facing a sort of “standardization” of the art form. Global trendsetters like Kylie Jenner and Gigi Hadid (the list goes on), have hopped onto these sites and amassed leagues of followers who then hurry to copy their icon’s makeup and transform their own features into those of their beloved celebrities and role models. Contouring/highlighting, “on fleek” brows, overdrawn lips, and eyeliner so long and sharp it can cut diamonds are just a few trends that, until recently, had only been used by drag queens and unconventional editorial MUAs. In the past couple of years, these looks have trickled down into our social media feeds and have become the new norm and ideal, with very few artists contributing anything else. Social media MUAs who once distanced themselves from popular media have now embraced these trends and delivered them to their own followers, spreading this new paradigm of beauty even further. This organic diffusion in itself is not the problem–it’s the constant copying of the same trends and techniques over and over again. In essence, we’re starting to all look the same. Same defined cheekbones, same skinny nose, same eye makeup style, same overly plump lips … individual ideals of beauty are giving way to one dominant, #Instaglam standard. 

It’s all eerily similar to the older (but still ongoing) problem of excessively thin and similar looking supermodels. Now young girls who see these trends on social media are not thinking so much “Why can’t I be as thin as Naomi Campbell?” but, “How can I get lips like Kylie Jenner?” The lack of prominently distributed, diverse makeup and beauty styles online is an unhealthy thing for girls, and anyone for that matter, to be constantly exposed to. Thankfully, several MUAs are noticing this potentially dangerous trend and are raising their voices against it. Alexys (Lex) Fleming of the YouTube channel MadeYewLook posted a two part series (part I, part II) parodying the over-done trends she’s noticed on social media, while MUA Jordan Liberty talked his model through his so-called “Instagram Makeup Look” while analyzing her reactions. With more and more people going against the grain and contributing new and creative content, it’s beginning to look a bit more hopeful for makeup lovers out there.          

This is by no means an attack on the popular makeup trends listed above, merely a reflection on the current state of beauty and individuality I’ve witnessed on social media. If you love a bold brow or crazy cat eye every once in a while like I do, go for it–just don’t lose your own individual sense beauty in an effort to look like someone else. They probably used Facetune anyway.

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8pm in the Morcott Room.

Claire Biggerstaff is a senior at Davidson College where she's pursuing a major in English. Since her sophomore year, she's been heavily involved with Her Campus and has written for her school's chapter, interned with Her Campus Media, and eventually became the Editor in Chief of her home chapter. Her work as also appeared on publications like Babe.net and The Odyssey. When she's not researching news stories or holding editing workshops with her writers, you can find her enjoying an episode of The X-Files and thinking about how much she loves autumn.