8 Things You Need as a Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

You got accepted to a bunch of colleges, you picked the one you want, and now it’s time to start shopping and packing. You’ve got your essentials: clothes, sheets, toiletries, and desk supplies. So, what else do you need?

1. Shower caddy/shower shoes

Make it easy going to and from the shower by putting all your shower items into one helpful, specific place that can be easily moved. I personally went for a mesh one that has held up great, but a lot of people prefer plastic, so choose for yourself. Also get a pair of cheap flip flops or sandals you can wear to and from the shower, or in the shower, because sharing a shower with 20 other girls can sometimes get a bit gross.

2. Microwave safe bowl & cup + utensils

Seriously more useful than you’d think, the bowls are great for reheating food, making pasta, or trying out easy Tasty desserts. Also, cups for instant coffee or tea. Make sure you have at least one of each, and a spoon, fork, and knife set to match.

3. Tool kit

Because you will inevitably end up with something that needs to be put together, or fixed after it’s broken. Seriously, a hammer, screwdriver, and pliers will make your life much easier, especially at the beginning of the year when you’re getting your room all set up. Anything that requires some assembly will go much faster if you’ve got the right tools.

4. Beach towel

I’m sure everyone will be smart enough to bring normal towels to college (since you’re showering there and sort of need them). However, you need a nice throw down towel for a number of occasions: laying out on the grass, going to the pool, or even making it to lake campus. I didn’t use mine for the first year, but once I started swimming, I was so glad I already had it.

5. HDMI cord

Even if you don’t have a television in your dorm room, get one of these. At some point you’ll end up in a lounge one night, wanting to watch a movie because nothing good is on TV, then what do you do? You whip out your HDMI cord, plug it into a laptop, and simply stream a movie onto the big screen. Seriously, it’ll make your movie parties so much better than trying to crowd around a small computer screen.

6. Medicine kit

I know you’re all rolling your eyes at me at this point because I keep screaming at you to be prepared, but trust me, you’ll want this. The first time you get sick, and you will get sick, you’re not going to want to walk or drive to the store to get medicine. You’re going to want to lie in bed and sleep, so if you’ve got cold medicine on hand, it’ll be that much easier. Basics for this kit would be: cold medicine, allergy medicine, band-aids, and anti-bacterial cream.

7. Backpack

Look, I know this is so “high school,” but seriously, get one, and get a nice one, because when you’re lugging 20 pounds of textbooks to class or the library, you are going to love yourself for having actual support. Even if you can carry most of your stuff around in a purse or in your arms, save yourself the hassle and the back pain.

8. A special something from home

Regardless of how much you deny it, you’re going to get homesick, even if you live an hour away. Bring a piece of home with you to remind you where you came from. It can be pictures in a nice frame, a figurine, a stuffed animal, whatever reminds you of home. It won’t make leaving easy, but it will help get you through.

So get excited for college and get shopping!

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8pm in the Morcott Room.

Emi Moore

Davidson

Just an English nerd drowning in words. English major with a Film and Media Studies minor. Aspiring to write many novels, films, television shows, and video games. Avid reviewer of movies, theatrical productions, videogames and pretty much anything you can possibly review.