The 5 Best Study Spots at Davidson that AREN’T the Library

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

I don’t know about you, but doing homework or studying in the library stresses me out to no end! I can’t quite put my finger on it, but I always end up leaving the library more stressed than I was when I entered. It must have something to do with the perpetual sense of urgency in the air… but that’s just a guess. It doesn’t matter if I’m in the completely silent basement or the chat-friendly main floor, the library just doesn’t cut it for me. So if you’re like I am or you’re just looking for a change of scenery, here’s a list of good nooks and crannies that are great for getting your work done without the stressful library energy!

1. Summit Coffee on Main Street (2nd floor) 

Why it’s great: the smell of coffee in the air, the delightfully creaky wooden staircase, lots of seating options (simple tables, bar-like countertops, comfy couches), the mixed environment of both Davidson students and townies, moderately quiet with a little chatter in the background.

My favorite spot: one of long tables by the window

General vibe: low key, inviting

2. Chambers lawn 

Why it’s great: there are sunny spots and shady spots, you can sit in the grass or on a nearby bench, lots of entertaining people-watching, you can enjoy the outdoors while still being productive!

My favorite spot: smack dab in the middle of the lawn

General vibe: so darn collegiate (think brochure level bliss)

3. The Music Library in Sloan

Why it’s great: it’s much smaller than the main library so it’s cozier in comparison, very quiet, plenty of nice windows to let light in, big tables to spread out your books or to study with friends, desktop computers available.

My favorite spot: either the long table with the stools or one of the tables flanked by bookshelves on both sides

General vibe: quiet and secluded (in a good way)

4. Patio area in front of Sloan and next to Chambers

Why it’s great: there’s a fountain, it’s outside but still in the shade, features a pretty unique view of campus and Chambers,  plenty of tables and chairs to set up camp.

My favorite spot: one of the tables

General vibe: zen, unique

5. 4th floor of the Union 

Why it’s great: lots of seating options, food options below (Davis Café and Union Station) for when you need a study break, quiet enough to minimize distractions with just enough white noise, desktop computers available, great place to work on group projects.

My favorite spot: the table behind the fireplace (it’s directly above the doors on the café level)

General vibe: lively

So there you have it: my favorite places to get stuff done or to just hang out! Hopefully this helps you find your perfect study spot and get you thinking outside the stuffy library box. Happy studying!