46 Spunky Words to Spice up Your Speech

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Whether you’re an abecedarian just developing your logophilia or a longtime sesquipedalian, the English language is a vast vocabulous* sea of endless surprises. I think it’s high time you expanded your lexicon! So as not to frustrate you, I must provide a warning: the images below are not GIFs, despite the “play” symbol. So click as much as you want, but nothing’s gonna move. Now, without further ado, I present to you the 46 quirkiest words I could find on the internet in two hours!

agastopia: admiration of a particular part of someone’s body

argle-bargle: copious but meaningless talk or writing

barn burner: a very exciting or dramatic event, especially a sports contest

bibble: to drink often; to eat and/or drink noisily

blatherskite: a person who talks at great length without making much sense

cacoethes: an irresistible urge to do something inadvisable

callipygian: having shapely buttocks

deipnosophist: a person skilled in the art of dining and dinner-table conversation

eucatastrophe: a happy ending to a story

gabelle: a tax on salt

hinky: dishonest, suspect, or unreliable

hypnopompic: of or relating to the semiconscious state prior to complete wakefulness

jentacular: pertaining to breakfast

kerfuffle: a commotion or fuss, especially one caused by conflicting views

lackadaisical: without interest, vigor, or determination; listless; lethargic

macrosmatic: having a good sense of smell

mimsy: rather feeble and prim or over-restrained, (coined by Lewis Carroll in Through the Looking-Glass)

mouse potato: a person who spends large amounts of their leisure or working time on a computer

oneiric: of, relating to, or suggestive of dreams

persnickety: overparticular; fussy

pausiloquent: uttering few words; brief in speech

quire: two dozen sheets of paper

rawky: foggy, damp, and cold

slangwanger: a loud abusive speaker or obnoxious writer [i.e., Trump?]

tittynope: a small quantity of something left over

toplofty: haughty and arrogant

tellurian: of or inhabiting the earth, or an inhabitant of the earth

ulotrichous: having wooly or crispy hair

umbriferous: shady

velleity: a wish or inclination which is not strong enough to lead one to take action [a.k.a. the desire to get good grades]

widdershins: in a direction contrary to the sun’s course, considered as unlucky; counterclockwise

wittol: a man who knows of and tolerates his wife’s infidelity

xertz: to gulp down quickly and greedily

Although after memorizing these words, you may be perceived as toplofty, your speech may very well contain less argle-bargle. Hopefully no one accuses you of being a slangwanger or a blatherskite! Either way, now you’ll sound a little more erudite (if you overcome your misanthropy and actually talk to people), and Davidson will get an even better rep. Thanks to Oxford Dictionaries, @lovelywords on Twitter, and Voxy Blog, my velleity to search through the dictionary did not inhibit me from curating this list. 

*NOTE: Not an actual word. I made it up! In my defense, Shakespeare did it tooover 1,700 times! I’m in good company.

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8 p.m. in the Morcott Room.

Carlina is a junior Latin American Studies Major and History Minor at Davidson College and the founder of Davidson's Intercultural Dinner Dialogue program. She is Senior Editor and Co-Vice President of Her Campus Davidson. She is passionate about immigrant rights and is working on becoming a better ally to people of color.