13 Questions Every First-Year Has Week 1

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

If you’re an avid snapchatter like me, you have seen the filter that has reminded us every day since move-in that it’s always a “Great Day to Be a Wildcat.”

However, stepping foot on our 665-acre campus for the first time as first-year or transfer students may have not been the greatest day for some of us. I admit that I was a little terrified for this new beginning.

We came in with set expectations for the first week–our orientation schedules outlined when and where we should eat, we were forced to “break the ice” with our Belk, Sentelle, Richardson, or Watts hallmates, and we had a general idea of the classes we were going to take. We knew that Myers-Briggs had supposedly matched us up with our personality doppelgänger and, I think I can speak for many in saying, we hoped that the time we spent on our personality tests was worth it.

Even after we received our CatCards, said heartfelt goodbyes to our families, and awkwardly mingled at the ice cream social, there were still so many unanswered questions spinning in our heads:

1. “Where can I get these quesadillas I’ve heard everyone talking about?”

2. “What exactly is flickerball?”

3. “Will I have to eat lunch alone?”

4. “Why do the library doors ‘push’ AND ‘pull’ on entry?”

5. “Who are my friends going to be?”

6. “Where will I study?”

7. “Is everyone here as enamored with Steph Curry as they seem to be?”

8. “When do I sign the Honor Code?” and [most importantly] “How do I want my signature to look?”

9. “How many Davidson t-shirts is too many?”

10. “Is there always this much free food?”

11. “Who will I become in my four years here?”

12. “Is this the right school for me?”

And finally . . .

13. “Do I belong here?”

And so, as our first week turns into our first month and our first month turns into our first year, I encourage you think back to one of our first Wildcat welcomes. Our president, Dr. Carol Quillen, reminded us at the opening convocation that we are all here for a reason. Remember, we are the people who make Davidson special. Every one of you is unique and was admitted to this community for your special talents, distinct opinions, and desire to learn and grow. Your first week may have had its ups and downs (getting lost in the seemingly unorganized halls of Chambers was one of my biggest mistakes), but remember that the awkward first encounters will fade, you will find your favorite study spot on our beautiful campus, Commons food will become a little tiresome, and everything may just fall perfectly into place.

If you are interested in writing an article for Her Campus Davidson, contact us at davidson@hercampus.com or come to our weekly meeting Tuesday at 8pm in the Morcott Room.