The 10 People You Meet Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Davidson chapter.

Ah, freshman year, a time for expanding your horizons and making new friends! With two weeks done you probably think you’ve met everyone there is to meet at Davidson, right? Wrong. Until you’ve encountered these 10 people, your first year isn’t over. So what are you waiting for? Head down the hill (or in the case of #7, to Cannon) and socialize!

1. The Roomie

From your very first Facebook chat, you knew it was meant to be. You planned on matching your dorm decorations, but it didn’t really work out. Nevertheless, you’ll always be grateful to Myers-Briggs for providing you with a free friend that you didn’t even have to work for!

2. The Orientation Best Friend

You became BFFs out of a mutual fear of being alone during the orientation frenzy. You both loved hawaiian pizza and that was enough of an excuse to cling to each other during the first week. After classes started, you never saw her again.  

3. The First Hookup

You and this stud shared a DFMO during your very first court party. The next morning, you Facebook stalked each other and quickly decided to never do that again. You will see this person every day of your life. 

4. The One Who Peaked In High School

This person was his high school class president. Why do you know that? Because he tells everyone. He also brought all of his JV baseball trophies to school with him and had an unweighted GPA of infinity.

5. The Sport

They’re finishing their morning jog while you’re still hitting snooze. They’re the number one sought after player for the Flickerball Draft. Once you played frisbee with them and you nearly perished. For this team player, ball truly is life. And yeah, they definitely lift.

6. The “Cool” Upperclassman

This person gave you your very first beer, introduced himself to you as a senior, and immediately you were smitten. That is, until you saw him use the same ploy on every other first year down the hill.

7. Max

Need a ride to the airport? An excellent hug? Some quality longform additions to your Facebook newsfeed? Max BB is your guy for sure. 

8. The Wild Child

Every time you run into each other at F you hug like long lost sisters and make plans for brunch. The brunch plans always fall through, but her inebriated love for you never does. There’s a rumor going around that she hooked up with someone on the Commons conveyor belt, but you’re not sure if it’s true. Maybe you’ll ask her at brunch!

9. The Stranger Who Says Hi To You

For the next four years, this person will wave at you, smile at you, and occasionally punch you on the shoulder knowingly, like you’ve shared some sort of personal memory. You don’t know their name, and you’re not sure if they know yours. In fact, you’re pretty sure neither of you know each other, you’re just keeping up this façade because at this point you’re in too deep to give up and introduce yourself.

10. The Crew

After dabbling with The Orientation BFF, The Sport, and The Wild Child, you finally found the one(s). You and this clique do everything together; you basically live in each other’s dorms. You’re there for each other through thick and thin. They still make fun of you for The First Hookup though, as is their duty.

Sophie comes from Atlanta, Georgia, and now attends Davidson College in the big city of Davidson, North Carolina. She dabbled in professional beat boxing, but ultimately decided she did not want to completely dominate the industry and ruin the careers of all aspiring beat boxers. Sophie likes reading, writing, and things that are free.