This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dartmouth chapter.

I used to wish that I could turn back time and change a lot of things that happened. I’d blame myself for not acting a certain way, for saying the perfect one-liner. For saying something so profound that, if life were a movie, the music would swell and the credits would roll and I’d win an award for my performance.

But, life isn’t like the movies. I don’t have a convenient DeLorean or my Tardis. I can’t snap my fingers and suddenly become the most perfect version of myself. This isn’t a TV show where I do a spin and become a superhero. I don’t have a sidekick. I just have me.

It took me a while to get used to that idea, that I couldn’t change everything. They’d haunt me, the things I didn’t do.

Eventually, I don’t know what changed. Maybe I “grew up” (whatever that means). But I learned that, ultimately, those situations and events made me ME. 

I am my experiences, but they are just pieces of me. Like my memories, my joys, my sorrows, my ups and downs. I am me.

The time I have now, I must use to accept myself.

Sophia Whittemore is a Correspondent for the Dartmouth HXCampus branch. When not working on HXCampus, they're writing webcomics on Webtoons, Pride books for Wattpad, was a staff writer at AsAm News, and has published the "Impetus Rising" series back when they were in high school. Sophia's also a geek, but who isn't?
Aishu Sritharan

Dartmouth '20

Aishu Sritharan is a member of the Dartmouth College class of 2020.