This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dartmouth chapter.

I never thought that I would be the person to say that a study abroad “changed my life”. I always thought that was something people just said but did not actually mean it – until I did a film program from my college in Los Angeles. Now, I realize that this is not actually a study abroad from the United States, but it is quite far away from New Hampshire where I go to college. (Also, I am originally from Germany, so I guess my entire college experience is a study abroad? But defining that is a completely different story.)

When I was deciding which study abroad to do, I did not know what I wanted, but I knew what I did not want: I did not want to study in Europe or the US, because I already knew those places quite well. I wanted to go to a country I had never been to before.

Well, fast forward a couple of months and I ended up applying to two programs: The Film domestic study program in Los Angeles and the French Foreign Study Program in Paris – obviously one of these was in Europe and the other in the US. It was the exact opposite of what I originally thought I wanted to apply for, but somehow I felt drawn to these programs and ended up getting accepted.

The L.A. program had a little twist to it: We would be taking two classes and our third class would be an internship. When it came to applying for internships, I was once again lost. I had always been interested in film but was not sure that I actually wanted to work in the film and media business. At some point, our professor sent us an email about a position that had opened up in a company called Violet Grey. It was a high-end luxury beauty company and I was intrigued. I applied, had a phone interview and ended up getting formal invite to join the team during my stay in L.A. I would be a “Video Intern”.

That internship ended up having a bigger impact on my life than I ever thought it would have. I had such an incredible time in the city of angels at working at that company that I realized that is what I want to go into after graduating college.

Also, I met many amazing people on this program and am still close friends with a few of them, which I could not be happier about.

It was quite a long way to get there because I did not even want to apply to this program and then almost did not apply to this internship, but somehow, I still ended up there. Sometimes, life takes funny twists and turns, and you won’t see certain things coming. What I learned from this experience? Be open, be adventurous and take the opportunities you get!

Paula is the Social Media manager for Her Campus at Dartmouth College. In addition to managing the social media platforms, she enjoys writing about Health, Beauty and Food. Paula is originally from Germany, but lived in London during 8th Grade, attended High School in New York City and has now been attending Dartmouth College for the last 2 years. She is extremely passionate about her YouTube Channel (Paula Joline) and her Instagram account (@paula.joline_nyc), where she enjoys telling people in Germany about life in America and people in the United States about what it is like to go to college.
Sophia Whittemore is a Correspondent for the Dartmouth HXCampus branch. When not working on HXCampus, they're writing webcomics on Webtoons, Pride books for Wattpad, was a staff writer at AsAm News, and has published the "Impetus Rising" series back when they were in high school. Sophia's also a geek, but who isn't?