Why I Say Bar Carts Over Pricey Bars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dalhousie chapter.

Please ensure you are 19+ (or whatever the legal drinking age is where you reside) before divulging in this content. 

I am so sick of bar hopping and coming home with racked up charges on my debit card at the end of the month – on sodas and drinks that I only bought to avoid soliciting. It’s stressful on a college budget to want to go to a nice place with tasty cocktails. Most of the time, we end up hanging out at the classic student bar. Some of us are sick of shots and would rather have a Moscow Mule…but not at this bar because their ginger beer is not the best and not at the other because they are charging $16 per cocktail. Even a vodka-cran doesn’t seem worth it after the first year when you also want to be saving money. 

As I enter my 20s, I’m getting picky (clearly from my latest commentary) and have found that the best way to spend your money on cocktails is to invest in what you like and make them yourself. Obviously, buying big bottles adds up – especially when you think about how much triple sec and other liqueurs go for. So, why not try starting a “bar-cart” at your designated friend’s place where you are pregaming? You can all split the cost and enjoy yourselves for many nights to come.

From my recent discovery – my friends and I end up indulging in the following:

• Club soda (unless you want incredibly concentrated cocktails)
  • Big ice cubes (dollarama – absolutely necessary to chill your glasses + in your shaker)
  • Vodka (most bar cocktails have tequila or vodka but any alcohol you prefer)
  • Cranberry juice (‘easy-peasy’ vodka cran or any juice works)
  • Lemon/lime juice (easy on the go, but if whoever is grocery shopping likes limes, please do get real ones. A lot of bars have their designated “sour mix”)
  • Triple sec (any orange liqueur that doesn’t break the bank is enough)
  • Simple syrup (can be made at home, I spice mine up with cinnamon and cloves and leave it in a solo cup in my fridge) 

If you want to go crazy, there’s the “salt and pepper” of bartending called bitters. I even like to get egg whites so I can have lots of foam in whisky sours. Lastly, you’re going to need a shaker + measuring cup or even a bar spoon (I got mine for $16 on amazon).

Now, let’s set the scene…

I’m getting ready – a little bit late for the pregame – but it’s all good. I just finished dinner and I need something to drink (other than water). I’ll grab my gin (I’m a Bombay Gin girl) and lemon juice + simple syrup (with cardamom). I’m feeling fancy and it is measured exactly to my liking so it’s not too sweet and not too boozy. If I wanted foam, I could add an egg white to my shaker, and if I want a pineapple cocktail then I’ll add pineapple juice. The other day I had frozen raspberries for smoothies with white rum, ice and soda water, making the perfect raspberry daiquiri. If I wanted to upgrade, I’d even garnish it with lime or add orange bitters. 

Voila! I’ve made myself a frugal drink and saved a good amount instead of sitting in a sticky bar. I’m buzzed and feel good (no sore arms here) and ready to head out instead of sacrificing myself to suspicious-looking rum and cokes.

Bartending takes a little skill (tip your bartenders and yourself), but once we’ve made our mistakes and got the hang of it, it’s probably the best investment and a cool party trick.

The best way to spend your money on alcohol and try out cocktails, is to make them yourself. As we head into our 20s, the sticky bar scene gets old really fast and with COVID-19, the best thing to do is to start a bar-cart with your friends!

Amani Soorty

Dalhousie '24

Hey Friends! I’m Amani and I’m a student at Dalhousie University, studying psychology and economics — hopefully going into research when I graduate in 2024. I’m excited to be apart of the HC Team and write about fashion, going out, and personal growth.