Life > Experiences

The Winter Blues: How to Cope with the Inevitable Feelings of Sadness This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dalhousie chapter.

We’ve all experienced the mid-January walk home from class at 5pm: it’s pitch black, the snow and slush are seeping through your shoes to your socks, the saddest Phoebe Bridgers song you can think of is playing in your headphones. It’s a common experience. The occasional melancholic Tuesday is sometimes hard to avoid during the winter season; and for some of us it can become an everyday occurrence.  

Winter is a hard time. With the short days and harsh weather, it’s just not my cup of tea. I find it hard to feel joyous under these circumstances. And if this happens to you too, know it’s not your fault for feeling this way. So many people experience sadness during the winter. I’ve been feeling the winter blues pretty much every year since I was 15 (I’m 21 now). At this point, I feel I’ve curated a regimen to ensure I don’t get too lost in my thoughts. The following list contains a few key habits that I try my best to maintain during what can be the hardest months of the year. 

Acknowledge how you’re feeling

Recently I’ve been challenging myself to sit with my negative thoughts and feelings, rather than immediately trying to make them disappear. This has really helped me realize that these feelings are just temporary. Allowing myself to take the time to feel sad has made it a lot easier to move on from whatever left me feeling upset and start fresh with a new perspective. I know it’s easier said than done, but practice makes perfect (journaling has helped me a lot with this).

Plan out your week

This may not be for everyone, but I’ve found that a pre-established plan for the week makes it a lot easier to keep up with the day-to-day aspects of my life (e.g., school, work, social life). Planning allows me to make time for the things that bring me joy. It may sound all too simple but there have been so many times where I’ve felt completely lost with my time during the winter, especially with the shorter days. Planning for the week, even if you don’t end up following your schedule all the time, can be a really helpful tool. 

Explore a new or old hobby

Whether it’s picking up the old knitting needles or joining an intramurals team, having a fun activity where you can build a skill and create or do something you’re proud of has done wonders for my mental health. I’ve always been really into yoga and when I come back to it after a big break, I always feel so much better about myself. So, you’ll definitely be seeing me in some yoga classes this winter.

Keep up with your social circle, even if it means getting out of your comfort zone

As someone who struggles with their mental health throughout the entire year, I know how hard it can be to reach out to others when you’re not feeling your best. This can totally be exacerbated during the winter months. This is when it’s especially important to push yourself to make plans to hang out with people, even when you feel like you might not want to. Connecting with others is so good for us and I promise you will feel better after.

Make the time to clean your space

Often, the result of a scattered mind is a scattered space. I know I’ve been in a place where I’m feeling super low, and I can’t even get myself out of bed. This has led to a messy room which only makes me feel worse. Adding a 5- or 10-minute tidy-up to your daily morning or night routine will make a world of difference, resulting in a clean space to wake up or come home to.

Do one thing you enjoy everyday

Whether you’re getting coffee with a friend, going for a walk, making a meal from scratch, reading, journaling, and so on, committing one hour a day to do something that brings you a little bit of joy can really change how you feel. During the winter I can get very lazy and neglect the things that I love to do. I’ve found that using a little bit of will power and pushing myself to get out of my slump for just a little can actually change my trajectory for the entire day. 

Now these tips may not be for everyone, and that is okay. This is for those who find the dark, cold, snowy months harder than the rest. Here is your reminder that there are things you can do when it starts to get cold and dark that will set yourself up for an easier winter. Good luck out there!

Darcy Gillespie

Dalhousie '23

Hey! My name's Darcy, I'm in my fourth year of a double major in Environmental Sustainability and International Development studies. I'm passionate about books, wordle, and animals :D