The Influence of Emma Chamberlain

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dalhousie chapter.

From the ordinary teenage girl who began making YouTube videos in her childhood bedroom to the viral YouTuber, podcaster, coffee brand CEO, fashion icon and many more, put your hands together for the one and only, Emma Chamberlain.

I discovered Emma’s YouTube channel almost four years ago when I was 15 years old. Since then, I have loved keeping up with every aspect of Emma’s online life. From watching every single one of her YouTube videos to listening to her podcast and being inspired by her many fashion eras. Emma Chamberlain has been a big part of my teenage years and despite the fact that she may never know who I am, she has impacted my life in numerous ways – and I can only imagine that so many others feel the same. To celebrate Emma, I thought I would recount some of the most important areas that Emma has influenced throughout her career.

Since her humble beginnings on YouTube, Emma’s channel has gone through many evolutions. Emma started her YouTube channel because she was unhappy in high school and wanted to pursue a hobby outside of her schoolwork. She uploaded her first video titled “City Inspired Summer Lookbook 2017” and after that, began posting consistently. What I really liked about Emma’s channel upon my initial discovery, is how relatable she was. While watching her videos, I felt like we were close friends on a FaceTime call. She made me laugh and was so entertaining to watch, even if she was just doing something as simple as vlogging her day-to-day life. From watching Emma’s videos for the past couple of years, I definitely think that I have become more confident in myself and have learned to be my own best friend, as Emma encourages in so many of her videos. 

Emma has an impeccable sense of style and has a significant influence on what this generation considers ‘trendy.’ To date, she has worked alongside luxury fashion brands, including Louis Vuitton. She has attended Paris fashion week, and this past year, even attended her first-ever Met Gala. However, she also loves thrift shopping and has proven that you don’t need to spend a fortune on your closet to dress in style. 

Sometimes when I’m out shopping, I’ll think to myself “Would Emma wear this?” or “How would Emma style this?” Emma keeps us wondering what her next look may be, but she always manages to pull off each new look as well as the last.

I didn’t really listen to podcasts much before listening to Emma’s podcast, “Anything Goes.” I really only started listening because it was Emma’s podcast, and I already loved her so much from watching her own YouTube. This podcast is truly so well done and not only entertaining, but upon listening, you can tell that Emma is wise beyond her years with all of the great advice and interesting topics that she tackles. From relationships to self-growth, to stories from her own personal life, if you have not listened to this podcast yet, I guarantee there will be a topic that will resonate with you and something that you can learn from Emma. 

Finally, what would an article about Emma Chamberlain be without mentioning her very own coffee brand, “Chamberlain Coffee.” Right from the beginning of her early YouTube days, Emma has been a coffee connoisseur. When she turned her love for coffee into “Chamberlain Coffee” saying it was a success would be an understatement. “Chamberlain Coffee” is an online coffee shop that sells many different blends of coffee, merchandise and even matcha.

No matter how famous Emma gets, she always stays genuine and humble and that is precisely why I have continued to watch and support her, even as she gains more fans and views each day. She has made me smile on hard days and smile a little harder on my happy days. She has provided fashion and life advice like that cool big sister that I never had. 

I may only be one number in her list of subscribers and followers, but to me, she will always be my favourite influencer and internet bestie. 

Claire Moser

Dalhousie '25

a work in progress.