This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dalhousie chapter.

I grew up in a family of avid readers and writers. My house is full of books along with passionate conversations about favourite authors and novels. When I was younger, the thought of reading an entire book petrified me. As a kid, I struggled with attention issues and doing anything that didn’t captivate my mind felt like torture. My parents insisted that I would love reading, but every time I tried to read, my mind would go blank, gazing over the pages as if it was in a different language. 

As I grew older, I accepted the fact that I would never be a reader. I didn’t understand how my family members could sit still and pay attention long enough to get through an entire book. My days were busy with school, seeing friends and attending dance lessons. I had no energy, nor the desire, to coerce myself into a hobby that was not very appealing.

My first year of university, as many young people experience, was my first time being fully on my own. Without the busy schedule of high school and without the constant commotion at home, I realized that my life lacked one thing. Despite the fact that I was passionate about school and had friends with whom I loved spending time, I had no hobbies or interests that excited me. Ironically, during this time, TikTok began gaining more attention. As a result, a new trend emerged.

BookTok, an area on the app where people share their favorite books and give each other recommendations, slowly became more popular. I listened to people talk about how downloading the app inspired them to read and change their habits. With little judgment, people my age were sharing their thoughts about books that fascinated them. 

At this point, I knew I wanted to give reading one more try. Shortly after, I chose a highly recommended romance novel, sat down and read my book. Little did I know, this decision would change my life.

Eventually, I started to love reading. I switched from romance to mystery, to thriller, to sci-fi/fantasy. The pile of books on my bedside table grew. One day, I realized that I needed a bookshelf. 

Looking back, I always felt inadequate, or ‘not smart enough’ to be reading books. The books I was forced to read for school were not captivating. After feeling this way for my entire childhood, my perception of reading was skewed. Introducing myself to books in a fun and non-judgemental manner, has allowed me to explore texts that I find compelling. I have gained not only a new hobby, but more confidence in myself. I have learned that even if something feels like it’s not meant for me, that might simply mean that I need to approach it with a different mindset.

For anyone who may be struggling with the idea of reading, I want to remind you that it is possible to break through this mental barrier. It is important to understand that reading books that spark joy is much more rewarding than forcing yourself to read something that you aren’t interested in.

Looking for a little push? Here are my favorite reads of the year: 

• The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by VE Schwab
  • Bunny by Mona Awad
  • The House Across the Lake by Riley Sager
  • The It Girl by Ruth Ware
My name is Dalia and I am a writer for Her Campus! I am a fourth year Sustainability and International Development student, also pursuing a Certificate in Art History and Visual Culture. I love all things art, fashion, music, books, wellness and travel!