This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dalhousie chapter.

If you truly want to enjoy fall, the secret lies in saying goodbye to your iPhone’s camera and bearing witness to the changes in colours, sounds and lights with your own eyes. Apricot sunsets accompanied by the stinging cold. Beautiful red leaves stuck to the windshield of your car. Wet sidewalks and city streets. The texture of your favourite sweaters. Fresh cinnamon rolls from quirky cafés crumbling in your mouth.

As the number of sunny days start to dwindle, music becomes one of the best ways to power through the midterm season and drastic changes in weather. Fall playlists often celebrate themselves by honouring nostalgia or sappy love, while roping in festive holiday themes. Below are a few wonderful albums, artists and hit songs to listen to throughout fall 2021. These songs celebrate the new season, encouraging listeners to welcome the change in weather and lifestyle.

BEST STUDY MUSIC: Harry Potter Original Motion Picture Soundtracks (2001-2012) 

During study sessions, hours of exhaustive readings might make you want to escape reality and teleport into an extravagant fantasy: The Harry Potter universe. With the help of the Harry Potter Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, you will be transported into a world replete with wand duels, historical architecture, mysterious prophecies and the deepest of friendships. The eerie sounds of violin and cello will help you tune into your studies as well as the holiday spirit. 

BEST DINNER PARTY MUSIC: A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965)

A Charlie Brown Christmas’ innocent, simple rhythm paints a clear picture of some of the most iconic elements of the fall season. The excitement of Charlie and Snoopy jumping into a mountain of leaves is most appreciated on rainy days. These cheery melodies are perfect for an evening with friends and food, setting the mood of the holidays without being too loud. Similar to the Harry Potter movies, this album has serious nostalgic value. 

BEST SINGLES FOR WALKING BACK HOME:

“Sweater Weather” by The Neighborhood (2012)

“Cardigan” by Taylor Swift (2020) 

“We Fell In Love In October” by Girl In Red (2019)

Listen to the above songs if you’re taking the long way back home and hope to feel like the main character in a high-budget Netflix film. All these songs were released in the fall and share a unique, indie-pop feel that makes the golden leaves in the trees seem brighter and the pumpkin syrup in your drink taste sweeter. 

BEST PLAYLISTS TO KEEP IN LOOP: “𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒖𝒎𝒏 𝒊𝒏 𝒏𝒆𝒘 𝒚𝒐𝒓𝒌 . . . a jazzy vintage playlist” (YOUTUBE) (2019).

With unavoidable traffic and endless chatter amongst hallways, sometimes it’s necessary to filter out any meaningless noise in order to avoid excessive stress. The music in this playlist consists of classic jazz tunes. Whether you’re meditating, cleaning your room or laughing with your friends, this playlist guarantees a sense of tranquility and ease.  It is a collection of classical songs that will help you discover music belonging to elegant dance parties from the 50s. 

Quite frankly, any song that makes you happy can belong to your fall playlist. The ultimate aim of listening to music is to bring a sense of comfort to our chaotic lives – or rather, to make life’s endless movement a little less daunting. Accompanied by great music, any evening can become a night you’ll never forget. 

Natalia Tola

Dalhousie '23

Hello! My name is Natalia and I am a student journalist from Ecuador :) I am passionate about pasta, politics and people who are also passionate about life as much as I am—-writing is a part of who I am given the power it gives over dreams and reality (and all the ways they can beautifully blur together)