This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dalhousie chapter.

It takes a special kind of sound to be spooky. We all know to throw on “Thriller” and “The Monster Mash” at our Halloween gatherings, but it’s about time to upgrade our October playlists. There is an abundance of ‘must-listen’ Halloween albums out there, and below are just a few of my favourites! From rock to electronic and pop to soundtrack, this list has exactly what you need as Halloween creeps around the corner. 

Blue Oyster Cult, Fire of Unknown Origin

The eighth studio album by the hard rock band Blue Oyster Cult, Fire of an Unknown Origin, was released in June of 1981. This rock album illuminates themes of suffering, anguish and the supernatural. The exciting, cinematic edge to Fire of an Unknown Origin has accreditation to the 1981 film, Heavy Metal. Popular songs such as “Veteran of the Psychic Wars” and “Burning for You” showcase the sheer drama and energy of this eerie album.

Avenged Sevenfold, Black Reign

This four-song EP by the Hard Rock icons, Avenged Sevenfold, could not be more perfect for the spooky season. Any discourse or questioning as to why Black Reign belongs on a Halloween record list can be answered within seconds of dropping the needle on any of the included songs: metal riffs and abrasive vocals galore. 

Dead Can Dance, Spleen and Ideal

Spleen and Ideal is the second album by the gothic/dark wave group Dead Can Dance. This album is atmospheric, even haunting: not my routine go-to music, but fun to listen to on a cold October night. I recommend giving it a listen with headphones to experience the intensity of these creepy effects. 

Depeche Mode, Black Celebration

This 1986 Synth-pop/Alternative Rock studio album sounds like a pitch-black night. Obscure, mystical, and somewhat perverted, Black Celebration has the perfect vivacity for a Halloween record: dark but enjoyable. 

Kiss, Destroyer

Destroyer by Kiss is the kind of album I would play to pregame a night of Halloween festivities. It has the perfect Rock and Roll energy to pump you up and plenty of spooky elements like creepy voice effects and wailing guitars. “Detroit Rock City” is one of the most well-known and appreciated Kiss songs, and rightfully so.

Motley Crue, Shout at the Devil

I’d be doing you all a complete disservice if there wasn’t at least one Mötley Crüe album on this list. Upon the initial release of Shout at the Devil, the album cover featured a pentagram (that received lots of controversy, and was quickly changed). With heavy rocking tracks like “Shout at the Devil” and “Looks that Kill,” this is the perfect album for a Halloween bash. 

Misfits, Friday the 13th

If there’s ever a time to get into punk-rock music, or The Misfits specifically, it’s the spooky season. The title track to this ep, “Friday the 13th” is an ode to the horror film Friday The 13th. “Mad Monster Party” is an upbeat banger that’ll have you “Rockin’ with the zombies.” 

The Lost Boys Soundtrack

The Lost Boys, directed by Joel Schumacher, is a 1987 comedy horror movie. The soundtrack for the film has must-listen-to Halloween hits like “Good Times” and “Lost in the Shadows.” This album reflects the energy of the movie: action, intensity, leather jackets, and vampires. A perfect combination. 

Michael Jackson, Thriller

I’m sure you saw this one coming- there’s no denying Thriller is an iconic and archetypal Halloween album. My list wouldn’t be complete without this ’80s pop-disco record. It even won the Grammy for Record of the Year in 1984. What’s Halloween without the Thriller

Happy Spooky Season to all, and to all a creepy Halloween night…

Elizabeth Malone

Dalhousie '25

Hey it's Elizabeth, I'm a third year Liberal Arts student at Dalhousie, pursuing a double major in International Development and Law. I love to journal, listen to music, take photos, and play all kinds of sports. @elizabeth.malone_ on Instagram :)