This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dalhousie chapter.

Architecture should speak of its time and place but yearn for timelessness (Frank Gehry). Often romanticized as the program of eccentric aesthetics combined with the luxury of creative freedom, architecture school is actually quite different than it seems. It’s a study that was forged when humans found the need to occupy space with meaning and spirituality. Constantly trying to find structure, architecture school is trying and unpredictable, while simultaneously being an inspiring experience that transcends generations.  If you’re interested in architecture, here’s a sneak peak to the life of an architecture student at Dalhousie.

To begin, let’s look at my day-to-day life. First, I attempt to wake up around 7:30, but I usually wake up having missed all my alarms with class starting in fifteen minutes. But, missing class isn’t really an option so I somehow manage to get there. I go to class and then right after usually join some friends to get our first coffee of the day and lunch (if I slept in and didn’t have time to make some). After some collective commiseration, we then make our way to the studio to put in a few hours of uninterrupted work before our next class. Sometimes, our studio group may take a trip to study a site and propose a design (these are always super fun). After the later class or lab, it’s usually time for coffee number two and dinner, which I always bring to the studio (yes, we have our own kitchen and fridge there!). This is a nice break and a time to connect with peers. Then from around 6pm to 11:30pm, I work without interruption in the studio. On a lighter day, I’ll try to squeeze in a workout or I’ll have intramurals. I get home around midnight and usually end up in bed around 12:30 am. The weekends are always up in the air. If there’s time, I’ll catch up with friends, but often most of the weekend is dedicated to my studies. I typically spend 11am to 11pm in the studio on the weekends. I also was a teaching assistant this semester to help offset my cost of living. It is always a good idea to have some extra cash year round, since we don’t get the summers off to work. That being said, it’s crucial to know what you can handle and not put too much on your plate.

Now, I know what you’re thinking: this sounds so boring. But honestly, when you love what you’re doing it doesn’t even feel like work, especially when you’re constantly surrounded by and working with your friends in the studio. Late nights in the studios lead to lots of shenanigans and spontaneous fun. I know for a fact this semester I need to figure out how to get more sleep and exercise. Always remember to put your health first!

Now it gets more interesting! Let’s cover some things that you need to know:

• If something is due on the 21st (for example), it’s actually due on the 20th.
  • The time table… nonexistent. Some days you have desk critiques that are not on the schedule, sometimes there is no class when there is supposed to be, and it’s constantly changing location. Yes, you will get all this information around 8am.
  • Do not switch your chair with someone else’s. Even if they do not own said chair… it’s theirs.
  • There is always the hidden curriculum of the creative mind. Do not only meet the criteria of a project, but go above it and hope it is well received. 
  • Your peers are your best resources. They will literally save you from failing and when you all work together you all succeed.
  • Learn to accept criticism. 
  • You will become addicted to coffee
  • You will never know your grades. So talk to your professors and check in on how you are doing and what you can improve.

We often put pressure on ourselves to spend late nights in the studio. At the beginning of the semester, the professors will remind you that you need to move your body and get the nutrients you need. You need to sleep. You should listen to them, because you will regret trying to build a model or draw while hungry, wired on three coffees, and feeling sluggish and stiff.

Now that I’ve scared you, here are some of the amazing things you have to look forward to: you are going to meet some awesome people from many different backgrounds. You will become so close with your studio group and feel cared for. The professors and TAs are SO passionate about the craft and really try to inspire the students. And finally, the work is so fulfilling and creative I find myself so excited with each new possibility.

To finish off, here are some of my favourite quotes I have heard from my fellow architecture students…

• Architecture is like… really hard.
  • Ummm cuz it looks cool…
  • Where’s my knife ?!?
  • Oh no… I stapled my finger 
  • Why is there a croissant pinned to the wall?
  • This is a nice mix of pointy objects
  • We’re drowning in paper
  • Let’s build gingerbread houses over the break…  (everyone in unison)NO MORE MODEL BUILDING!
Current Planning student at Dalhousie University. Sexton Scholar 2021.