This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dalhousie chapter.

This summer I spent my time in Toronto in the house I grew up in with my parents. For The past 7 summers I worked a very interactive and hectic job – which I loved. This summer I did an internship that was completely different from what I have ever done before and it was completely remote. Going from being social everyday at school and work to working in my room all day was a big adjustment. At first, it was easy to feel isolated with only a few meetings a day and mainly solo projects. It was this situation that pushed me to explore intentional alone time. 

I have never been a person who enjoyed doing things alone. For me, I only appreciated it after an overwhelming day or when needing to focus. I often admired those who could eat at a restaurant alone or plan a fun day for themselves. I decided to step out of my comfort zone and push myself to enjoy my own company and learn about who I am even more. This is when I started prioritizing intentional alone time. I would plan activities in my day knowing that I would be doing them in my own company. I started running to explore more of my neighbourhood and finished the summer running my first race. I rediscovered my love of reading and spent many days reading on my front porch. I read a new record of 27 books this summer and enjoyed every minute of it. When I made plans with friends it felt so meaningful and special to me. Finally, I started journaling again which has had such a positive impact on my mood and will be so special to look back on in the future.

Being alone for most of my days wasn’t quite as scary as I had always imagined. I found myself enjoying the quiet of my street on a Monday morning. I picked up a new hobby – running, and restarted my older ones – reading and journaling. My friendships felt more meaningful when it was purposeful and not just for the sake of having someone to talk to constantly. I can also wholeheartedly say that I feel refreshed after this summer and am completely ready to tackle a busy and exciting school year. Looking back, I now can see how often I filled my time to avoid addressing how I was feeling in certain moments. Although it can be hard, it is so important to take the time for yourself and enjoy your own company.

Sidney Secord

Dalhousie '24

Sidney is a second-year Psychology student hoping to earn a Masters of Social Work after graduating. She primarily focuses on jobs in childcare and is currently working at a non profit organization for kids with Autism. Sidney is one of our event coordinators for Her Campus who is hoping to plan many fun events for this year!