Walmart TYD Jacob 081519 THUMB FB04jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Walmart TYD Jacob 081519 THUMB FB04jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Walmart

How to Avoid Housing Horrors in Halifax

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dalhousie chapter.

Being a student during a housing crisis can be stressful…especially when trying to balance finding a place for next year while attending classes. We all experience at least one roommate nightmare or housing horror at some point in our lives, but here are some tips and tricks I learned along the way (the very hard way), so you don’t have to!

For many students, a single apartment is simply not affordable. Instead, it is extremely common to find a group of people to live with. Oftentimes we choose our closest friends. In first year, this can be a little scary since many would have likely only known these people for a few months, maybe less, before it’s time to start planning a living situation for the upcoming year.

Friendships are fluid and constantly changing, especially in university – so it is important to have an open discussion about living expectations and preferences. Some people see their home as a sorority, while others see it as a place to hang their hat at the end of the day. To ensure everyone is on the same page, make sure to discuss how you all envision your roommate dynamic. And of course, the not so fun part about chores and expenses should also be discussed. Always make sure there is an understanding of each person’s budget. Everyone should take note of their preferences for a house and room type to ensure you can quickly say ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to a house.

Without your parents present on a house tour, it is important that you do not feel intimidated and too nervous to ask questions. To help ease some nerves, here are some key queries for your possible landlord…

1. Are all the bedrooms the same size?

Never pressure someone to take a ridiculously small room because, let’s be real… nobody wants to live in a cupboard while their roommates live comfortably.

1. Have you had any issues with water damage, pests, or mold in the past? 
  2. Do you plan to sell this property in the near future?
  3. Is there an area for storage?

Since you have all these questions prepared and are only viewing houses that meet everyone’s fair expectations and budget, you should all be able to agree quickly if you want the place or not. 

If it checks all the boxes, ask for that lease! Run home, call your parents and get that thing signed because in this market, it will be gone before you know it.

Now that you have a place acquired the stress is all over… as if! Now you must learn to live with several people your own age. 

There is often a huge change in your group’s dynamics once you all settle in. Some people like to take control, which can often cause tension between roommates. If everyone communicates and gives each other a wide berth, you should be on the right track. Don’t heckle one another about every little thing. Instead, pick your battles wisely to avoid unnecessary tension. Make sure to be respectful of your roommates (not a slob).  

Of course, for a house to function there are things you need to buy. People can sometimes get a little wound up about the costs and paying every cent back. Make sure everyone communicates what you really need to buy for the house (only the essentials). Consider taking turns when buying toilet paper and cleaning supplies if that’s a better system for you. Be sure to take whatever you purchase for the house with you when you leave rather than splitting the cost of a spatula five ways.

Above all, communication is key! Make sure everyone is on the same page and nobody feels left out. Also, keep your options open. Apply to residence as a back-up or if you have family in the area, reach out to see if you could crash there for a few months. You can even explore Facebook if rooming with strangers appeals to you. With the increasing cost of rent, consider subletting over the summer and start applying to summer jobs early. 

Do not fret if you do end up in a housing horror or roommate nightmare, it happens to most people at least once. Think of it as part of the ‘university experience.’

Current Planning student at Dalhousie University. Sexton Scholar 2021.