This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dalhousie chapter.

This summer, I had the absolute joy of visiting my family and being reunited with my sweet little dog after what felt like an eternity. The days leading up to the trip were filled with excitement, thinking about all the fun things we’d get to do and the people I’d get to meet again. But somehow those three weeks being back home flew by in the blink of an eye, and I found myself back in Halifax, reminiscing about the beautiful moments my family and I had just shared.

Being with my family and cuddling with my dog Pluto, felt like going back in time. A time where things were easier. It was like we hadn’t skipped a beat since I left for university – with the same inside jokes and reliving old memories. I had the best time with my family, sharing delicious home cooked meals, watching the same old movies we used to, and playing badminton every morning with my brother like we picked up exactly where we left off. Saying goodbye was tough, and as I returned to my regular life away from them, homesickness hit me harder than ever before.

This summer break was a rollercoaster of emotions. The love and care I experienced with my family made me feel so cherished and carefree, like a child again. But now, back to the grind, the reality of adult responsibilities feels harder to deal with than I anticipated, harder than it was before I left. 

I have been trying to cope with the high I felt visiting my family ever since.

With the new school year approaching, I hope to find some distraction in my studies. Keeping busy might help the time go by faster until I can visit home again and create more beautiful memories with my loved ones. Until then, I’ll hold onto the sweet memories of this summer reunion close to my heart.

Khyati Chawla

Dalhousie '25

Khyati is a film studies student at Dalhousie University planning to work in the film industry after graduation. In her free time you will find her watching movies in the movie theatre, making extremely specific playlists, reading romance novels, or obsessively watching sitcoms.