This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dalhousie chapter.

I know that this year felt quite strange because it seems as if we are still in 2020 – and yet, we are not. And even though to an extent, life has returned back to normal, I think this year has taught me how fragile and unpredictable life can be and that we should appreciate every single day and live life to the fullest. Although this year has presented some unforeseen challenges, it helped me develop a positive outlook on life and has undoubtedly made me who I am today. 

While 2021 has been a whirlwind of a year, it brought some positive changes and I am glad that I am able to be in Halifax this year attending university! Last year, we all had to make the switch to doing university virtually which was not what we had envisioned. I for one, did not enjoy having to do my work online due to the lack of social interaction. I think 2021 helped me experience an immense amount of growth and find my true passion. It allowed me to step out of my comfort zone and force myself to network with individuals in the marketing industry and find an internship. I ended up finding three internships in marketing and one in compliance. Needless to say, the difficulties thrown my way have taught me that it is important to put yourself out there – and not to be afraid to go after what you want.

We would’ve never imagined that we would still be wearing masks and having to social distance this year but it has become a new “normal.” I was glad that the Cayman Islands, where I am from, was not overwhelmed by case numbers. However, the cases started to rise later this year which meant we had to go back to wearing masks and social distancing – which speaks to how unpredictable this year truly was. I am glad to be in Halifax instead of Cayman right now, because we currently have fewer cases. Being in Halifax has provided me with a new sense of independence and makes me feel as if this year was somewhat ‘normal.’ 

If 2021 has taught us anything, I think it has taught us to go after what we want in life. Life is short and we need to pursue our dreams and aspirations. I am grateful for this year because I think it has been a humbling one. It transformed me into the person I am today and has pushed me to follow my dreams. I think we should all remember this year because it has taught each and every one of us something very unique. 2021 will definitely be an unforgettable year and I will carry what I learned into the years to come. However, I have to admit that I am excited to see what 2022 has in store.

My name is Ana Bodington and I am from the Cayman Islands. I am in my first year in the Commerce program at Dal. I am hoping to major in Marketing because I have really enjoyed it from my past internships and I have developed a passion for all things creative. I have completed three internships in the Cayman Islands in different fields and have really enjoyed them. I have done two in Marketing and one in Compliance. I attended boarding school in Canada for three years and I was awarded the scholar status. I am passionate about mentoring which I have gained community service by working with an organization in the Cayman Islands to mentor students. I enjoy doing art, working out, shopping, mentoring, and reading a good book.