Career > Work

A Call to Empower Female Leaders 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dalhousie chapter.

The fact that only 10.8% of CEOs of Fortune 500 companies are women is not a random phenomenon, it is the result of a history of a male dominated world and suppression of women in the workforce. The conversation surrounding this has been dwindling since we have seen a lot of improvement in women being better represented in companies. But this is not enough. The goal of this article is to bring back attention to the continuing disproportion of women to men within the top positions of companies, why this is happening, and what can be done to continue the positive momentum of women making their way to the top. 

There are a multitude of factors that go into someone being able to have a successful career and move their way up to a senior, more decorated position. Historically, women held a role within the home, caring for the family and doing house work. When women did start entering the labor force, the jobs they took were often related to their previous experiences in the household. These types of jobs included care and service type roles. This led to a stereotype of the types of jobs that women were “fit for ”. This stereotype has stayed present in society and a lot of people do not believe women are worthy of having superior roles to men. Although women are seen filling roles in a wide variety of industries, the stereotype is still present and harmful. Additionally, there are still many stereotypes regarding what a leader should look like.

Women are often undervalued when compared to men with the same capabilities. The issue is that when men and women share the same traits it is often seen as positive for him and negative for her. For example, in leadership situations men will be seen as confident and assertive while a woman will be perceived as bossy or aggressive. These stereotypes and stigmas need to be dismantled in order for there to be true equality in the workforce. What is needed is the empowerment of women in the top positions of professional careers and the growing network of role models for those to come. 

It is time that we as women take charge of our lives and images and ignore what others think. It is hard to get past worrying about how others perceive us and wondering if we deserve our successes. Do not be afraid to work in order to position yourself in the best possible light and strive to end up at the top, because you deserve it.

The following are some tips and practices that can be used to better position yourself for success and become that CEO, president, or partner of a firm you are aspiring to be one day.

1. Learn to say no! Women are oftentimes too afraid to say no when asked to do something for others. Don’t feel guilty for prioritizing yourself. If you feel as though something will not be beneficial for you do not be afraid to turn it down. Of course it is nice to do things for others that have no benefit to you, but don’t let people take advantage of your kindness! 
  2. Support each other. It is common for women to see other women as competition in professional careers. We should aim to empower each other and have each other’s back because this support will go a long way. 
  3. Sing your praises. If you have accomplishments and experiences do not hesitate to show them off! Women are less likely than men to talk themselves up in interviews, but this is what employers are looking for. 
  4. Plan for your future. Let’s face it. Women have a lot more to think about when planning their lives than men. Make a point to be forward looking and take into consideration where you want to be in so many years. This will help you when you have challenging decisions to make in your career.
  5. Be a leader and be confident. Confidence is everything when making an image for yourself. Having strong leadership skills and being able to build a strong network will only help you down the road.
  6. Develop Connections. Network even when you don’t need to. You can never have too many positive connections because these may prove beneficial to you at some point in your career.

Learn how to manage “imposter syndrome”. This means that we do not believe that we are fully deserving of the success we have or think that those around us are more deserving than we are. Women too often undervalue themselves so as to not seem egotistical. It is important that women know their worth and advocate for themselves in order to reach their full potential in the workforce.

Liz McGraw

Dalhousie '25

I am a third year student at Dalhousie pursuing a double major in Economics and Law, Justice and Society! I am on the executive team of multiple societies and love to be engaged with campus life and the university experience. I am hoping to attend law school and eventually work towards becoming a corporate lawyer. I am passionate about empowering women and helping women know their capabilities to strive for greatness and success.