Style > Decor

5 Cheap & Trendy Decor Ideas for Your Student Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dalhousie chapter.

Moving into school can be a blur. Weeks of packing and planning, culminating in a rush of travel and boxes. Most of us barely have enough time to get the essentials unpacked before we’re launched into classes. But that doesn’t mean you have to stop there! Now that you’re settled into your school routine, it’s the perfect time to revisit your home decor situation. I’ve compiled five of my best decor ideas that are budget-friendly, on-trend, and uncomplicated. Whether you’re living in a dorm, a basement apartment, or a rental house, decorating with intention can make the difference between a temporary residence and a home.

Tapestries

Tapestries are a great low-effort way to fill up some wall space, and in a rental or residence where you can’t paint walls, they can really add some much-needed colour. They can especially make bedrooms feel cozier, softening those harsh white walls and filling your space with personality. These wall-hangings can be as psychedelic or as modern as you want, and most run between $15-25 on Amazon. Pro tip: iron or steam it before putting it up to get out all those stubborn creases from shipping. Hang with a couple 3M hooks and you’ve just decorated about 20 square feet of wall in one go.

Fake Vines

Those plastic leafy strands that have been so prominent in recent years are still, in my opinion, a great way to mix up your home decor. Fake vines add dimension to what can otherwise be a very 2-D display of wall decorations, and they also incorporate natural-looking greenery into your space. Drape them like whimsical curtains from your walls and ceiling or weave them around a series of small 3M hooks for a more natural ‘climbing ivy’ look. At $20 on Amazon, one pack can fill up at least as much space as a tapestry.

Photo Collage Wall

Besides having access to a printer, this one is completely DIY and requires no specific purchases at all. To start, compile some photos that match the general aesthetic of the room. Try to focus on a particular colour scheme, or even a few different subject matters (for example: frogs, flowers, and coffee). In a document, prepare your photos for printing. They’ll have to print single-sided, but you can often fit two photos on a page together. When arranging on the wall, start with one large photo as the focal point and build the other photos around it, typically lining up with at least one edge of another photo. Follow this process until you’ve filled the space or run out of pictures, and you’ll have a gorgeous custom photo collage!

Plants

If you haven’t already hopped onto the plant parent bandwagon, consider this your call to action. A few plants can really bring some life into any home, especially a basement apartment. In fact, most plants that thrive in low light are also going to require less watering. And basic potting soil comes dirt cheap, if you’ll excuse the pun. Small plants are reasonably priced, about $10-20 at Home Depot. However, if you’re short on funds, you could try your hand at propagation! Ask around to see if anyone would be willing to lend you a clipping from their plants and consult the internet to find the appropriate cutting instructions. If you’re worried about keeping up with your plant’s needs, download an app like Planta that will send you reminders when you need to water it. Or just get a fake plant! It’ll serve the same purpose visually.

Accents

DON’T. FORGET. ACCENTS. Little things to put on your nightstand or dresser, centrepieces for coffee and dining tables—these underrated elements are crucial for bringing your decor to the next level. Second-hand stores are a great place to find cheap candlesticks, vases, trays, dishes and more. IKEA also has these items, but their prices can’t beat Value Village, where they usually cost between $2.99-5.99 each. You can find these pieces in a variety of styles that fit into current aesthetic trends, from tarnished silver for dark academia to funky coloured glass for eclectic modern. 

Grace Power

Dalhousie '24

Grace is a Senior Editor at Her Campus Dalhousie. In her second year of the Bachelor of Journalism Honours program at the University of King’s College, Grace hopes to continue working in editing and publishing after graduation. Originally from Ontario, she has travelled across five continents and once lived in Singapore for two years. In her free time, she enjoys writing poetry, singing, reading tarot, and learning about folklore and mysticism.