This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Dalhousie chapter.

A lot happened in 2022… the world was on the brink of political collapse and Taylor Swift broke records yet again. Even so, amidst all this mayhem, the film rollout did not disappoint. As 2022 came to a close, here are my top 10 films that were released this year. 

Please note, however, that most of the movies on this list are somewhat terrifying, and as such, viewer discretion is advised. Ensure you check any trigger warnings since some of them can be a bit much. 

10. Top Gun: Maverick ( Dir. Joseph Kosinski)

To nobody’s surprise, Top Gun: Maverick was amazing. The story was well written and the characters had some depth to them, but the best part was the cinematography. I must admit, never have I ever liked an aviation movie to this extent. It was visually stunning. I entered the cinema thinking it was going to be a military propaganda film, yet, I was proven wrong. Simply put, it was one of the best films to come out in a long time. 

9. Bodies Bodies Bodies (Dir. Halina Reijn)

This one was for the girlies, full of gen-z references and a pure satire on our generation. The film falls under the category of horror-comedy and when I say ‘comedy’ I mean it. The film has some amazing actors, the pacing is perfect and the ending was certainly worth the wait!

8. Bones and All (Dir. Luca Guadagnino)

I have read many mixed reviews on this one, but I like it – not for the horror element – but for the underlying coming of age story. Despite the cannibal plotline, the film truly seems to be about love and belonging – at the end of the day, I chose to see the beauty in it. The ending is both devastating and shocking, but oddly enough, I am glad it ended that way.  

7. Nope (Dir, Jordan Peele)

This is definitely one of the most underrated movies of the year. I was left with more questions than answers but the more I think about it, the more I understand that it was a choice on Peele’s part. The sense of ambiguity contributes to the film’s meaning. Categorised as cosmic horror, Nope manages to keep you engaged even while being extremely vague. I would undoubtedly need to rewatch this film in order to fully understand what happened, although this does not make the film any less enjoyable nor fascinating.

6. X (Dir. Ti West)

X is based on the characters created by Ti West. It sure is a strange movie to watch but in hindsight, it is one of the best horror movies that was released in 2022. Mia Goth, who plays not one but two characters in this film, is truly the queen of horror. Surprisingly enough, this film has many familiar faces like Jenna Ortega and Kid Cudi, and all of the performances are very powerful. I highly recommend watching this before you watch Pearl (the prequel to X).

5. Barbarian (Dir. Zach Cregger)

While this is another horror movie on this list, unlike the others, I believe that this one had more depth than any other horror film. This piece urged me to question a lot of things and helped me understand how one plot can be perceived in several different ways. There were a number of jumpscares (which will leave you screaming) but I did laugh at some points as well. If you love horror, do not miss out on this one. 

4. Pearl (Dir. Ti West)

Written by Ti West and Mia Goth herself, Pearl is a prequel to the aforementioned horror film, X. Pearl mimics the old Hollywood style of editing inspired by none other than Alfred Hitchcock, which not only makes it creepier, but somehow makes it seem less grotesque than X was. I would not be surprised if it becomes a horror movie staple in 2023. 

3. The Menu (Dir. Mark Mylod)

This one definitely surprised me the most. I would not have believed it had someone told me that I would end up loving this movie as much as I did. Needless to say, this is satire at its best. Ever wanted to watch an allegory on fine dining? Me neither… but I did and do not regret it! 

2. Babylon (Dir. Damien Chazelle)

Babylon might not be for everyone but I was truly blown away by all that it had to offer. I  might be a bit biassed since, as a film major, I felt strangely connected to the plot, having studied the history of cinema my entire first-year. However, if you are a film enthusiast, I would highly recommend checking it out – not only for the history but for the incredible cinematography, beautiful montages and the phenomenal cast.

1. Everything Everywhere All at Once (Dir. Daniel Kwan, Daniel Schienert)      Arguably the best take on the concept of multiverse, packed with countless laughs and sausage fingers, this film is well worthy of all the buzz it acquired. Breathtaking acting from experts like Michelle Yeoh, Steohanie Hsu and Ke Huy Quan, compounded by Chinese Language Cinema and the heartwarming writing are only a few of the reasons why this film is ranked #1 on my list.

Khyati Chawla

Dalhousie '25

Khyati is a film studies student at Dalhousie University planning to work in the film industry after graduation. In her free time you will find her watching movies in the movie theatre, making extremely specific playlists, reading romance novels, or obsessively watching sitcoms.