This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

I’m going to start this article off by saying if you think the title is asserting something not true, or even, “cap”, I’d like to ask you to reevaluate your sense of humor because the one you’ve got now probably isn’t that good. In the digital age, social media is a huge part of our everyday lives, and as longtime users of both apps, both Twitter and Instagram, there is a CLEAR superior application, and it is ruled by a little bluebird. My reasoning is well researched and confidently said, so continue to read for the truth every wrinkle brain already knows. 

I feel like one of the biggest reasons for Twitter being better than Insta has to be that sometimes, the replies are funnier than the tweet itself, and Twitter offers a much more streamlined way to appreciate the *chefs kiss* impeccable humor possessed by onlookers. The quote feature gives to opportunity for free clout, sure, but it also allows for a much bigger reach than smaller accounts may not have had otherwise (retweeting also does this of course, but the quote tweet adds a new layer). It has been used countless times to roast, spread awareness, and meme. For those not looking to be as direct with the quote, again the replies are just as entertaining. Watching middle-aged men simp over women who will never give them a second glance is highly amusing to me. And oftentimes, the terrain is lawless. People share stories, start threads, and say things that one would not dare say around their grandmothers. It’s delightful.  ​

Apps upclose on a phone
Pixabay / Pexels

Speaking of the replies being lawless, if I’m being honest the whole app is lawless. I never thought I’d be into making fun of ridiculously large babies one minute, and then scroll down to see NSFW images retweeted my mutuals. As opposed to Instagram, where feeds are scrutinized by everyone else, and the pressure to post a “perfect” photo is way higher than it should be, Twitter brings all out to the shower thoughts in us all. Follower count in my experience is much less of an issue, and likes, at least in my opinion, are not the goal as I feel as though many people see Instagram. You’re so much freer to be funny here. Post 80 times a day for heaven’s sake, your message will take up a 1/6th of the screen, not that you can’t do that on Insta, but through my careful research, I can tell that the post ratio’s just are not the same. Giving you again, much more liberation on Twitter.  

Finally, one of the biggest aspects of social media is memes. When scrolling the gram, memes are low to mid at best. Sure, there are good accounts, but for the most part, they’re good because they repost tweets! If I wanted to see a tweet, I’d go on Twitter. If I wanted to see a tik tok, I’d go on Tik Tok. It’s one of my biggest pet peeves with Instagram, as their meme content is so saturated with content stolen from other apps. Twitter is where it all spawns, where the really funny people go to consume their meme content. It doesn’t even have to be in a meme format on there either, the things that come out of people’s brains in under 280 characters astounds me every day. And the best thing is, the most common length is actually around 33 characters. Meaning it takes that little of reading to give me a chuckle. Fantastic.  

13 going on 30 gif
Giphy

If you still don’t agree with me by now, I just don’t know what to tell you. You either aren’t following the right people on Twitter/your crowd, are less intelligent, or enjoy the superficial nature of Instagram too much. That may sound harsh but I’m trying to prove a point here. Twitter is, has been, and will forever be the superior app. If you haven’t downloaded it yet, do yourself a favor and add the bluebird to your phone screen. And while you’re at it, feel free to check out @/Lauredactyl because I am in fact hilarious and insightful 24/7.  

Lauren Miller is a sophomore at Central Washington University majoring in Apparel, Textiles, and Merchandizing. She enjoys Mac Miller, grapefruits, and acrylic nails. Her goal is to eventually study at Parsons School of Design in New York, and one day, be a designer at fashion weeks all over the world.