Life > Experiences

‘Tis the Season: Tips and Tricks for Graduation Pics!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

As a photographer, I know booking a session to get your graduation photos taken can feel like a daunting task. These pictures are going to be seen by every member of your family, be your most liked photo on your Facebook profile, framed on many walls and stuck onto a good handful of fridge doors. It’s terrifying thinking this ONE specific day will be broadcast to your entire little world. Though your worries are valid, with a photographer you trust and the tips and tricks I’ve learned from working with clients over the years, you will feel a lot more at ease and prepared going into your session.

Tip #1: Picking an Outfit

When picking an outfit for your session, I always say neutrals are the way to go. Not only will you match your cap and gown no matter the color, you’ll also match the environment, whether you’re posed in front of pillars or a bed of tulips. Neutrals provide a timeless look that won’t make you cringe in a few years and have you looking your best. 

Tip #2: Iron, Iron, Iron!

Before arriving at your session, make sure to iron your gown and stole! It makes your photos a thousand times more clean, crisp, and beautiful, making sure the attention is on your stunning smile and not those creases from the package.

Tip #3: Bring a Friend!

Having a friend at your side to hype you up throughout your shoot makes ALL the difference! They not only come with two extra hands to hold all your crap, but can also boost your confidence and relax you, resulting in genuine smiles.

Tip #4: Practice Makes Perfect

To feel more prepared for your session, practice poses in the mirror beforehand! Figure out your best side, find the most flattering poses for your body type and have an idea of what you’re going for before stepping out the door. Instead of feeling like you’ll have to rely on your photographer to tell you what to do the entire time, posing preparation will help ease anxiety and give you a glow of confidence that will shine through your pictures.

Tip #5: Communication is Key

Have a shot in mind you know you’d like to get? Feel uncomfortable in a position your photographer has placed you in? Got a specific vibe you’d like to go for? Let your photographer know! We’re here to help YOU feel comfortable and confident and help achieve the particular look you’re going for. 

Hopefully these tips will help you feel assured and ready for your session, making you feel more excited than anxious for the big day. You’ve worked so hard to make it to graduation- celebrate by getting that perfect shot you’ll be thrilled to share with all your friends, family members and of course their fridge collages.

Gracen is currently a senior at CWU studying Film Production. Some of her interests include photography, making art, watching movies, and listening to music. This is her fourth year writing for Her Campus.