Esselon cafe breakfast
Esselon cafe breakfast
Greer Long
Wellness

Thankful for Delicious Vegan Substitutes this Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

I am a vegetarian. This means I do not eat meat. While that limits a couple of my options for Thanksgiving dinner, I am not as limited as vegans this holiday season. Vegans do not eat animal products such as eggs or dairy. 

I thought I would jump in here to share how vegans and friends or families of vegans can make their meals more vegan-friendly this Thanksgiving. This is not an extensive list, but I added some of the most necessary Thanksgiving food items. 

1. Tofu Turkey Roast

There are actually quite a few of these out in circulation before Thanksgiving. If you miss the taste of turkey or cannot decide what your main course should be, Tofu Turkey Roasts are amazing. I love the Gardein Turk’y Roast. My mom bought three of them for me this year, one for Thanksgiving, Christmas and for emergencies. 

1. Vegan Mashed Potatoes

Instead of using cow’s milk, use unsweetened, unflavored plant-based milk. I have used oat milk and I cannot even tell the difference. For the butter, use vegan butter. I use Earth Balance vegan butter usually. 

1. Sweet Potato Casserole

This recipe is really easy because the only thing you need to switch out is the butter. Add vegan butter and vegans should be good!

1. Green Bean Casserole

Make your own cream sauce! That may sound a bit hard but honestly, it is melting some vegan butter, whisking it with flour, and then pouring that over some milk. This mixture has to sit and thicken, and it’s a green light. Then you can make the green bean casserole just like your mother makes it. 

Hopefully, this helps some people when planning their menus for next week. 

HCXO

Hi! My name is Katlyn White. I am a sophomore at CWU. I am double majoring in Professional and Creative Writing and Digital Journalism. I am a Cancer and a Ravenclaw.