Gradients?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Gradients?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Universal / Wikipedia

Taylor’s Version: Two Masters Down, Four More To Go

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Taylor Swift has just released her second re-recorded album, Red (Taylor’s Version), and I am completely overwhelmed by its brilliance. 

Compiled with 30 tracks, including 8 never-heard-before vault tracks that were originally written for the album in 2012, a re-recorded version of the independently released single Ronan, and a 10-minute version of All Too Well. Before we get into the utter audacity of these additions, we must clarify the importance of why these re-recordings matter so much. 

Following the re-release of Fearless (Taylor’s Version), this means that there are four more albums that she does not yet own. Continuing to re-record her discography is so important for her own career and the careers of singers and songwriters everywhere. This is because many people in the industry are unaware of what sort of negotiations must take place in order to legally own their own masters. Swift had to learn about this the hard way, through having her own first 6 records obtained and sold by Scott Borchetta and Scooter Braun. 

The beauty of this whole process of re-recording is that Taylor can include tracks and details on the albums that she wasn’t able to before, considering that she owns them. If she wanted to put the 10-minute version of All Too Well on the album in 2012, the reaction was most likely negative. Now, she can do what she wants and there will be no legal repercussions made by rich white men. 

As for the pure artistry of Red (Taylor’s Version), I think it’s best that I include a little review of the new vault tracks and the 10-minute version of All Too Well. 

Better Man, formerly written for and performed by Little Big Town, is wonderful to finally listen to with Taylor’s vocals. She effortlessly delivers the role of a betrayed lover through her diction and this song was a great portrayal of that feminine rage toward an unfaithful partner. 

Nothing New (featuring Phoebe Bridgers) is incredible. I get chills just thinking about this song. From the beautiful harmonies between Taylor and Phoebe to the realism in the lyrics, this song is one of my favorites because it makes me feel so many things! It’s got the same anxious feeling as some of Taylor’s other songs like Mirrorball and Gold Rush, that feeling that time is fleeting and you don’t know how long you’ll be enough for someone. The song gives a curt nod to the music industry and how difficult it is for women musicians to still feel relevant as they grow older.

Babe, formerly written for and performed by Sugarland, is also nice to hear fully sung by Taylor. I love that the ‘promises, promises’ background vocals are more prominent in this version and I just think this song is so groovy with that hint of country.

Forever Winter is what happens when Taylor Swift takes a really sad song and makes it have an exciting pop rhythm. Rumored to be about one of her old friends who unfortunately left this world too soon, this song creates a feeling of both longing and hopes that I think a lot of people can relate to. 

I Bet You Think About Me (featuring Chris Stapleton) is a fun country tune about being self-aware, knowing when you’re the favorite ex and that the worst thing someone could do is lose you. This song also has some great callbacks to her earlier hits like Mean and Tim McGraw.

The Very First Night is very cute and has a great way of showing the wishful thinking one goes through when reminiscing on a fling they had with someone special. I’m loving the speculation revolved around this song because it does have some undeniable traces a certain actress Taylor might have been involved with at the time… But it is not confirmed! 

Message in a Bottle and Run (featuring Ed Sheeran) were not necessarily my cup of tea. I wouldn’t skip either song if they came on but I also wouldn’t deliberately choose to play them. But that is fine! I am still a swiftie through and through. 

All Too Well (10-Minute Version) is a beautiful masterpiece and there are simply not enough words for the journey that this song takes you on. Firstly, I must emphasize how disgusting it is to romanticize an age-power dynamic in a relationship and it is so heartbreaking that girls everywhere experience the same exact story Taylor illustrates in this song. I hope that this song gets the recognition it deserves and that more people can become aware of this issue. Nevertheless, my favorite new lyrics that stood out to me were “you kept me like a secret, but I kept you like an oath” and “just between us, did the love affair maim you too?” Miss Swift was really sharpening her pen when she wrote this one and I am so thankful for her genius writing. I am also thankful for her decision to have Jack Antonoff help produce the 10-minute version because he gave us one of the best outros to a song… It might even be the best outro of all time. There are so many goosebumps with this one.

What’s next? If I’m being honest, I can never tell when we’re dealing with the insanity of Taylor Swift. Everyone’s throwing around the possibilities of whether it’s going to be Speak Now (Taylor’s Version), 1989 (Taylor’s Version), or a new addition to the folklore/evermore universe. I think it would be quite funny if she did something completely different, but who knows. All I know is that it’s a good time to love Taylor Swift. 

Communication + Advertising Pisces