Retail Woes: Sticky Situations You’ll Face in the Work Place

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

As college students entry level jobs are our bread and butter (so to speak.) Driven individuals who need a little extra cash are exactly what part time employers are looking for. What we don’t always realize is we take these experiences and apply them later to our career and life in general. Whichever company is paying for your pizza this weekend, here are a couple of sticky situations and how you can learn from them.  

The Don’t Ask Don’t Tell 

There are a lot of manners some people are taught and choose to ignore because of their position. The topics that your parents always tell you to never to bring up. For example: religious or political views are especially sensitive in the work place, whether you are the employer or employee. Just remember that you can be the mysterious person at work or the person that tells every costumer your life story but you are in no way required to tell someone something you don’t want to. You have the freedom to speak and not speak so peep the constitution and exercise your rights. Also vote.  

The Micro-Manager  

Some people have control issues, whether it is a tenured employee or a your manager; many things can be done many different ways but some people like it done their way and that’s okay. It’s best to pick you battles, if there is a question ask your manager but a valuable lesson people should learn sooner than later is learning to work around people and/or find compromise.  

Do As I say Not As I Do 

Leading by example is a great trait to have as a manager, the bottom line is not everyone has this trait and they’re usually the laid back boss everyone is excited to work with or the hypocrite no-one likes to be around.  

There’s nothing wrong with bending the rules once in awhile, eating at your desk, talking about your weekend to a co-worker or playing off your yoga pants as a pair of slacks. We’re all guilty and 9 times out of 10 you aren’t hurting anyone. Remember to be reasonable, especially when you’re in a leadership roll, be the boss that you would want to have.  

The Over Scheduler 

Employers typically ask for you availability during the interview or right when you’re hired. Make sure to really consider your schedule when setting availability. Even when it feels like your manager is being completely inconsiderate when writing your schedule, remember that they have more than one schedule to work around and they can’t read your mind. There’s a lot that goes into making a schedule and there’s usually a solution as long as you inform them there’s a problem.  

Also remember that if you need a day off for any reason that the company will not go under because you missed a day of work. Don’t make it a habit because it isn’t polite and you’ll most likely end up unemployed without a good reference. Managers are people too and compromise can be found if it’s brought to their attention.  

Having a job in college is a learning experience and a great way to meet people you may not have come across otherwise. Nobody’s perfect and not everyone will be your best friend but learning to be flexible and when to stand up for yourself is experience that can help you in more ways than one in your future endeavors.  

President at Her Campus CWU Senior, Public Relations Major at Central Washington University!