This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Nesting is something that I am now learning not many people know much about. It is fairly common among expecting parents and families that they want to make their homes and rooms feel more welcoming and cozy. Now just because it is becoming more well-known within families does not mean that it is not something that anyone else can do. 

I have found that when you’re in college or getting your own place separate from your family and close friends it is vital to make your own comfort zone. It is very important to allow yourself to have a safe zone that feels like your own.

Different ways that people create their own nests can include bedding, blankets, pictures, candles, some sort of personal scent, and different decorations that you would hold close to your heart. From my own personal experience with nesting in my new home, I felt that pictures of those that I love and fun memories as well as a cozy room were the best fit for me. Having warm lighting, light-colored accent pieces, and pictures scattered around my room allow me to feel calmer and more light-hearted rather than overwhelmed and overstimulated. 

By having such an inviting space it allows you to stay focused on what you are doing without being distracted and it can also be a more comforting place to relax and take some time to yourself.

I hope this has been helpful and can allow you to create your own nest.

Henley is a freshman at Central Washington University and is trying to find her passion. As a freshman, she is still looking into what career path she is interested in. Some of her interests include going to the gym, watching movies, cooking/baking, and just hanging out with friends!