NEED A QUALITY PAINT BRAND? HERE ARE THE 4 BEST PAINTS FOR ARTISTS TO USE.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

As an artist, I have tried many different paint brands from cheap Dollar Store paints to Heavy Body Golden Artist Colors acrylic paint. Preferably, I enjoy using the Heavy Body Golden Artist Colors to create a better-quality painting. If you are an artist, you know that the quality of the medium you use doesn’t define your talents. However, if you are going to possibly sell your art, I would recommend buying higher-quality mediums. I have even chimed in on what my artist friends enjoy using.  

Golden Artist Colors

Golden Artist Colors is a very reliable and wonderful brand for painters. They have exceptional acrylic paints in a wide variety of colors. Golden offers many different types of acrylic paints from Heavy Body to SoFlat Matte. From my experience with this brand, I have used Heavy Body Golden paint. It works very well, especially if you are trying to paint professionally. If you are looking for thick viscosity paint that lasts longer on your pallet, I would recommend buying their Heavy Body acrylic paint. It can be easily watered down as well during the painting process to create washes. 

https://www.goldenpaints.com/products

Liquitex

Liquitex is a satisfactory acrylic brand, and it is perfect for any artistry level. They offer different viscosities and pigments of their paint for the artists to choose from and the formulas are highly flexible. If you are looking for a brand just to have fun with, purchase Liquitex Basics. If you are looking for more of a professional paint, purchase Liquitex’s heavy body paint.

Winsor & Newton

Windsor & Newton offers multiple painting mediums such as watercolor, oil, gouache and acrylic paint. On their website they offer sets of these different mediums or individual tubes; The individual tubes vary in price based on the color you choose. From my experience, I have used their Gouache paint, and it is magnificent. It dries matte and comes in the tube very thick and can be watered down to a watercolor consistency. The pigments in the gouache are very high-quality, vibrant and rich. One of my very good art friends uses Windsor & Newton gouache paints and her art looks so crisp with undeniably vibrant colors. In my opinion, Windsor & Newton is for more experienced artists; for example, I wouldn’t give these paints to children for an art project. 

Gamblin

If you are an oil painter, Gamblin offers terrific paint in numerous colors. On their website they show excellent ways to use the color you choose. For example, if you want Cobalt Violet, on Gamblin’s website they show the glaze, tint, tone and shade. Gamblin also sells their paint by the tube and in sets. I have dabbled in oil paint and own a small set from Gamblin; they are probably some of the best oil paints around. I don’t use my set a lot because I mainly use acrylic paint, but it is at my beck and call when I feel the need to use my oil paints on the whim. I recommend this brand to any artistry level, but look up how to properly use oil paints with correct ventilation.  

Out of Golden Artist Colors, Liquitex, Windsor & Newton and Gamblin, you couldn’t go wrong with any of these options. I own all of these paint brands as an artist and use them all. I hope all you artists out there enjoy trying out these paint brands, and remember your talents are not defined by the quality of the medium you use; Have fun! 

Hello! My name is Zoey Ryan and I am obtaining my BFA in Graphic Design and minor in Art History at Central Washington University. I am very passionate about people, and telling human stories. I love going to concerts, collecting records/ vinyl, listening to music, drinking matcha, thrifting, and making all kinds of art.