This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Autism Acceptance Month is not the only time to be learning about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). Learning about Autism does not end at the conclusion of Autism Acceptance Month. It is important to continue to educate yourself on the disorder and how it is presented in autistic individuals, as well as the misconceptions associated with the disorder.

By taking the time to understand autism and the misconceptions associated with the disorder, you will have a greater understanding of the ways autism presents in individuals.

1. What is autism

Autism is a developmental disorder characterized by deficits in social interaction and communication. Autistic individuals may experience a variety of symptoms ranging from difficulties with facial expressions, restricted interests and behaviors, lack of eye contact, or difficulties in processing new information. 

By having deficits in social interaction and communication, autistic individuals may experience difficulties in recognizing nonverbal cues, initiating and maintaining conversation, and in approaching interactions with other people.

MIsconceptions

1. Autism presents differently in people

It is commonly believed that autistic individuals all act the same in which they are unable to feel emotion, have special interests or abilities, and are antisocial. However this belief proves to be false, as most autistic individuals are able to feel emotion, but may struggle to show emotion. 

The same can be said for autistic individuals having special interests or abilities or being antisocial. Not everyone with autism has a special interest or ability. Some excel in math and science, while others have a wide range of interests. 

Autistic individuals may also have a desire to engage in social interactions, but may have difficulties in initiating and maintaining conversation with other people. 

2. “YOu don’t ‘autistic’!”

Many people often believe that one has to look autistic to have autism. This is false as there is not a specific way to look “autistic”. Autistic individuals may appear neurotypical while those severely impacted by autism may fit the image of someone with autism. 

3. vaccines cause autism

The belief that vaccines cause autism stems from a 1990s study that found a correlation between vaccines and autism. When this study was published, many people were led to believe that childhood vaccines cause autism and refused to get their children vaccinated. The findings of this study were found to be false as no scientific evidence confirmed that vaccines caused autism. 

Instead, causes of autism may stem from genetic factors such as having a family member with autism, genetic mutations, having genetic conditions such as “fragile X syndrome or tuberous sclerosis.” While other causes may stem from “complications at birth” and “being born to older parents.” 

4. autistic individuals don’t become successful

A particularly harmful belief about autistic individuals is that they are unable to go on to be successful in life. This belief is actually false as there are many successful autistic people such as Susan Boyle, Tim Burton, Temple Grandin, Daryl Hannah, and Courtney Love. 

With the right support autistic people can go on to become successful in life. 

Is there any misconception you felt needed to be on this list? Let us know at Her Campus CWU.

XOXO Her Campus.

Hi there! I am third-year student at CWU majoring in psychology with a minor in theatre arts. In my spare time, I enjoy baking, reading, singing, and exercising.