This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

As we all know with the way of life you are born and then you die. You are not given any certain amount of time, normally don’t know when your time is going to come as well you may not know what will cause your death. Even when you or someone around you gets ill you really never know when their time will come to an end, you will have to wait and hope that they are not in pain or uncomfortable anymore. 

When you are younger you don’t really understand death and normally (hopefully) you are not experiencing much of it either. At that time in your life when you hear of someone passing away, it’s normally a distant family member, great grandparent or grandparent, and members of your friends’ families. Then you get older and can comprehend death a little more and start to hear about more and more people that are close to you that are losing their lives. 

Death is something that can be really hard for some people to comprehend especially when it happens to someone that you may not see very often so even the idea of them being gone is even harder to comprehend. Especially when you are away at school or work the idea of going back to your hometown or anywhere where they may have been and never seeing that person again hits hard. 

I am someone who unfortunately has had a lot of death and illness around me and my family so coping is something that I have become really good at. One of the biggest pieces of advice that I can give you is to accept what has happened very early on. You cannot change what has been done but that does not mean you cannot be sad. Let those tears out, be frustrated, be mad but do not let those feelings completely take over. Give yourself two days to feel that way and then try to remember the good. Transition your mind away from the grieving process and allow all the good memories to run through your brain. If you can force yourself to automatically think of the good qualities of those people. Of course, everyone grieves differently and you cannot change the way someone’s brain processes things but if you can try to override your brain even the slightest bit it can make your life a little easier without that person in it. 

Henley is a freshman at Central Washington University and is trying to find her passion. As a freshman, she is still looking into what career path she is interested in. Some of her interests include going to the gym, watching movies, cooking/baking, and just hanging out with friends!