This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Coincidences, anomaly, abnormalities, just strangely coinciding events happen often in life. A person saying something that was just in your head or thinking about someone and then seeing them randomly, later on, we pass them off as everyday quirks, but not everything is pure coincidence. The Law of Attraction is in short, the mental manifestation of things for our life, whether materialistic or abstract. It does not judge and is simply a law of the universe affecting us all as residents. Many see belief in such ideas as frivolous or unreasonable, but what’s the harm in working with the universe? It’s all based on positive thinking and forward motion, which I believe are things we could all use a little more of.  

The concept of the law itself transcends human existence and has existed since thought itself surfaced. Translations of the law appear in; Buddhism, “All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become.” -Buddha, and Christianity, “Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.” -Galatians 5:6. The idea is cooperative with the theory of Karma. What goes around, comes around. The concept later finds its place the New Thought Movement in the early 19th century as well and securing its roots in every corner of the world. It’s a concept that goes above demographics and asks a question to your core. What do you, as a human being want to happen?  

The simplest, yet more challenging change you’ll ever make to your life, deciding to “be happier” sounds simple in theory, yet execution requires practice. Changing the very outlook you have on life isn’t always easy, and your current perspective may be clouded by worries and doubts about your existence, but just think about it, you live in your brain, so why not make it a nice place to reside? I’ll ask again, what do you want to happen? No one wants to live in a grayscale life, and while I realize for some of us it’s not easy as “just thinking happier”, but it’s a place to start. And there’s no harm in positive thought.  

On the aforementioned topic of forwarding motion, this in my experience has been the key to truly applying this mindset to myself. So often we get caught on past moments and people, relationships with people bring negative events and emotions into our lives sometimes. Whether that’s platonic or romantic, that’s life and something you’re going to have to live with. What you don’t have to do though is live with it like it’s still a problem. Healing takes time and is necessary, but holding onto those gray emotions are holding onto what has already past, and this is the present, ahead is the future. In the words of Mac Miller, “Keep your eyes to the sky never glued to your shoes.” Let. Things. Go. Do yourself a favor and reach your full potential by embracing what’s happening now, and putting the past to rest.  

Mindsets are just that, a mind that has been set to a specific routine or way of thinking. To change one’s is a feat, but not one of the unrealistic proportions. Whether or not you choose to acknowledge the universe and its laws, remember to be mindful of your actions. Foster the good that finds you and celebrate its warmth, and your actions will be received and rewarded. The universe isn’t out to punish you, it’s here to balance and give back what it has received.   

Lauren Miller is a sophomore at Central Washington University majoring in Apparel, Textiles, and Merchandizing. She enjoys Mac Miller, grapefruits, and acrylic nails. Her goal is to eventually study at Parsons School of Design in New York, and one day, be a designer at fashion weeks all over the world.