This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Hypocrisy within the church is something that has been talked about for years but it has been mainly talked about by those who are not a part of the church. For this, I will be specifically talking about the Christian church and the hypocrisy that has been seen since the beginning of Christianity including sex, racism, homophobic beliefs, etc. 

When looking at the Bible, you can see that men are at the top of any situation and women are seen as lesser. They are seen as the help and will be there for their “soldier” and to be the perfect bride that God had created them to be. We live in a world today where that is not ok, women need to be treated with the same respect as men and nothing less. Women as a whole have worked so hard over the decades to get us to where we are now and there is no way we are going back to what we once were. 

Another issue within the Church is hidden racism. Christians are supposed to be lovers to everyone and stand up for everyone’s rights no matter who they are. When the slave trade was going on in the south did anyone from the Christian Church get people to come together to fight against it, the answer is no. Frankly, many Christians used this to their advantage to gain more land and to then have their own slaves to work the land for them. Though they would put this land within the Church so then it wouldn’t seem like slavery since they would be on the Lord’s land. Many people would also use the Bible to support their own personal racism. This again connects to the main point of Christianity which is to be lovers to everyone and have no judgment. Now I don’t know about you but I think racism goes against their two main points.

Then last but definitely not least is the topic of being homophobic and how the Church treats those that are a part of the LGBTQ+ community. It has been made clear that men must love women and women must love men. Though as we all know now that is not the case at all, anyone can love anyone and that is something that you cannot change. You cannot send someone to a conversion camp and expect them to come out “right” in your eyes. More times than not they will come back faking who they are so they could get out of there and still be loved by those that they love. 

We have come to a point where many Christians are seeing the pain and wrong that has been done in their past. Obviously, they cannot go back in time and change what has been done but they are trying to right some wrongs and that is really all we can ask for at this point. Christianity is a religion that over time has done both harm and healing for others, we just need to create a more open-minded and caring community for those that are religious and those that are not. There does not need to be this divide and I believe that we are at a time where we can make that happen if we are all up for the challenge. 

Henley is a freshman at Central Washington University and is trying to find her passion. As a freshman, she is still looking into what career path she is interested in. Some of her interests include going to the gym, watching movies, cooking/baking, and just hanging out with friends!