This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Growing up, my family and I were ignorant to curly hair. My hair was frizzy and poofy from being brushed out and pulled into ponytails. Overtime, I picked up tips and tricks on how to handle my curly hair. These came from YouTube tutorials, hairstylists, and my own experimentation. As TikTok has exploded, there are now influencers who specialize in curly hair advice. Gradually, my hair has gotten healthier and more stylish because of being attentive to my hair. Everyone’s hair is different, but taking what works from diverse sources will eventually lead to you being happier with your hair than you’ve ever been. In this article, I will discuss curl types, what to use in the shower, how to style curls, and how to elevate those curls even further. I will share what works for me, but by all means, take what I say and apply to your own unique head of hair.

Curly girlies can narrow down what products will work on their hair by taking a hair texture quiz. After answering the questions, this quiz will present you with your curl pattern, curl type, porosity, density, and width. For example, my hair is curly pattern, type 3A, and medium for the remaining categories. The curl type value is the most important. Curl type is on a scale of 1 to 4, 1 being straight, 2 being wavy, 3 being curly, and 4 being coily. The letters are A, B, and C, referring to the tightness of the curls. Once you know your curl type, researching recommended products and techniques will be straightforward.

First, we can swap products already in shower routines, shampoo and conditioner, with products tailored for curly hair. The most important aspect is hydration. Curly hair is naturally more dry than straight hair, and frizz occurs when hair is thirsty. Secondarily, look for ingredients that repair and strengthen the hair while leaving it soft. This will make your hairs silkier and more manageable. There are many lines that carry curly products for a variety of curly types. Personally, I enjoy SheaMoisture products for their availability and price point, specifically the Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo and Conditioner. In the shower, I shampoo my hair twice: first for the dirt, second for the scalp. Then I take a pump of conditioner and rake it through the ends of my hair, following it up with a wide-toothed comb to distribute the product evenly. I do this with my head down, combing my hair up and away from my scalp to add volume. This product is not a leave-in conditioner, so I then wash it out. After my hair is clean and nourished, its ready for styling!

Styling is an important step in getting the most impact out of your curls. Hair styling products such as mousses and creams as well as tools such combs and brushes are crucial. I remember trying many types and brands, but today I find myself using SheaMoisture’s Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie. I used to rub the products on my hands and apply it to my wet hair. I then took sections of hair and twirled them around my finger, creating solid ringlets around my head. My hair looked as if it had been heat styled, but I prefer a more organic style now. My current process is taking a smaller amount of product and emulsifying it, meaning I get some water on my hands and rub it into the product. Then, I flip my head over and use my fingers to rake the product through my wet hair. I then use a wide-toothed comb to distribute the product evenly. To style my hair, I use a Denman brush primarily and then my fingers as needed. I make sure to scrunch my curls throughout the process. This new method is faster than my old one, and my curls take on a more natural shape.

At this point, you will have a solid routine, but there are more steps that can be taken to elevate curly hair. For example, protecting your hair while you sleep. This can be done using protective hairstyles, like a pineapple bun, or putting it in a bonnet. My preference is having a satin pillowcase. The satin reduces frizz and absorbs less oil compared to a cotton pillowcase. Another change that has helped with frizz and definition with my curls is trading a normal head towel for a microfiber towel. The occasional deep conditioner also enriches curls. Once a week, I substitute my conditioner for the SheaMoisture (I swear I’m not sponsored) Raw Shea Butter Deep Moisturizing Masque. I distribute it into my hair and then plop my hair in the microfiber towel while I shave, washing it out afterwards. The important part is that the deep conditioner has time to soak into and replenish the hair but is used sparingly as to not weigh it down. My highest recommendation for someone with curly hair is to get it cut by a stylist that knows how to do curly hair. The technique and outcome are vastly different. Just ask people with curly hairstyles who cuts their hair! Other products that can be useful but I have not personally looked into yet are clarifying shampoos, hair oil, and diffusers.

Curly hair is beautiful, and curly guys, gals, and nonbinary pals are lucky to have it. It requires a little extra love and patience but is absolutely worth it. It always makes me sad when people with curly hair decide not to take care of it. Instead, consider it selfcare and embracing your unique features. Hopefully, my routine can inspire you to take better care of your own curls!