How to Plan the Perfect Christmas Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Tis the season y’all – ]we’re ready to have a hell of a jolly time. It’s time to plan a Holiday party, and this year, it’s gonna be better than ever! Below are some tips and tricks so that your party will be the talk of the town. As there are many types of parties and events out there, this article will focus more on family/friend’s house parties. Here is how you could plan a Holiday party with only 2 steps, let us know what you think!

Part One: Invites

To have a party, you need people. So getting the message across to everyone is very, very important. You’ll want to start with your paper invites, getting them out as soon as you know all the details (date, time, attire, theme, gift requirements, etc.) Often, people lose their invites, or forget about them over time. Thankfully, social media is our godsend. Create a Facebook event (whether private or open) to make sure people are reminded. Now, because these people are your friends and family, you want to go even further with it and make it more personal. The more people feel like they are wanted, the more likely they are to come. So, give them a call and let them know about it! Ask if they got their invite and tell them that you’d really love if they could make it. This can make a huge impression on whether or not people will show. Lastly, make sure your invitees will feel like they will be missing out if they don’t come. Food and games, and listing other fun attendees can all help to lock in a guest.

Part Two: The Ambiance

Alright, so you already have your Holiday theme, now you need to dress your house. The feeling that a person gets when they walk into your door can make or break how they feel about the rest of the party. If you’re not sure how to create the perfect ambiance, think about your five senses! You want sight, smell, taste, touch, and sound, all fulfilled!

Start with your décor. If you are planning a Christmas themed party, you want your house or venue to reflect that. Check out Pinterest for some easy, budget-worthy ways to decorate! Christmas trees, holly, red flowers, wreaths, and bells are all great Christmas-themed décor ideas! This will take care of sight.

Next is smell. This means you want it to smell like Christmas, so turn on that Scentsy! The “Home for Christmas” scent, pine tree scent, or sugar cookies are all great options for both wax melts and candles.

Taste is major. Is a party really a party without food and drinks? Whether you want a more classy party with wine and cheese, or a more casual party with reindeer shaped snacks and spiked punch, food can make or break a party. 

Touch sounds odd, but it doesn’t necessarily mean hanging up a fur pelt for people to stroke. Touch, in terms of ambiance for a party, has to do with games, or activities. Have something for your guests to do to keep away from the awkward standing-around scenario. Nobody wants that. Sometimes, if you plan games for the entire time and force everyone to play however, it can take away from the casual fun. Maybe stick to just one game that requires everyone, like a white elephant gift exchange, and have the rest of the games be sitting out for small groups who are socializing (like Jenga!)

Sound may be the most obvious, but is extremely important when it comes to parties. The last thing you want is the dreaded awkward silence. So blast some holiday music in the background and let people jam out as they enjoy your party!

There you have it! Get personal with your invites and use your five senses, and you will be able to create the perfect holiday party this season! Have fun and comment below any fun Holiday party ideas or tips you might have!

Central Washington University Junior Event Planning Major Aspiring Wedding Planner