This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

This week we are getting to know Katy who has captained CWU’s cheer squad to teaching pickle ball (which is probably the best 1 credit class you could every class ever offered). We wanted to get to know more about Katy before she graduates this year and we’re so excited to kick off Winter Quarter with “Mama Kate” before she graduates in the spring!

Hometown: Puyallup, WA

Major: Physical Education and School Health aka: the best major because all we do is play.

Nicknames: Mama Kate, Kady, Kate, Katie girl

Favorite pizza topping: Pepperoni and pineapple. *because pineapple belongs on pizza*

Something interesting about yourself: I willingly participate in half marathons

What are you obsessed with right now? Pom Juice!

What’s you’re favorite part about working at the Rec Center? Working for the school is nice because the hours are flexible!

Why do your friends call you Mama Kate? I always have what everyone needs; q-tip? Got it. Ibeprofen. Got it. I take care of everyone like a mom.

What was the hardest part about being cheer captain? Trying to balance being a captain and being a friend and leading people that are older than me.

What is the hardest part about being a teacher? There isn’t always enough time time or resources for me to give every kid the amount of attention they need.

Is it easier or harder to teach elementary kids or college kids? Elementary kids, because I don’t know how to communicate with them as I do with people in college. 

Where do you want to teach after you graduate? End goal is to teach at a juvenile facility to help troubled youth.

Who/what inspired you to be a PE/health teacher? My middle school PE teachers, those we’re the best classes of the day!

What is your biggest goal at the moment? Run my next half marathon the entire time.

Where did you go for break? Las vegas, NV.

What was your New Years resolution? To get out of my comfort zone, instead of always sticking to what I know.

What do people need to more know about? The difference between equal and equitable opportunity.

President at Her Campus CWU Senior, Public Relations Major at Central Washington University!