This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Recently through one of my favorite professors, I was introduced to a new book I didn’t even know existed. Diamond Grill by Fred Wah, this book follows the general story of a Swedish-Chinese man who works at a restaurant called, ready for it, Diamond Grill. Although it covers many key aspects of his life including his family and immigration, Canada, the weather, his coworkers and much more, a central theme that I picked out right away was food. Then it got me thinking, so much of our lives and our cultures all around the world are shaped partially by food. I would like to think the answer is, yes.

Although there are many other food cultures, here are just a few of the more common ones.

Asian Inspired Sustenance 

Rice
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

If one is able to acquire such a great short book, one might notice a couple of specific instances in which Wah goes into a blatant description of how to cook the staples of a Chinese cuisine.  He says, “Rice is white rice, polished, and, if cooked properly, should be just slightly sticky but not wet. Here’s how my dad taught me when I left home and I discovered that I couldn’t live without it.” Now, I know what you’re thinking, don’t I already know how to make rice? Again, the answer is, yes. To be honest, I thought I did, too! I hate to admit it, but I did, in fact, try making rice and I was completely amazed. On page seventy-five of Diamond Grill, Wah lists the recipe: “Wash two to three cups (more is always better because you can use it later for a breakfast of fried rice and tofu) by swirling it in a heavy pot with your fingers and draining. Put enough water in to cover rice plus the thickness of your fingers as you hold them top-of-hand down on the rice (variation due to age, gender, race, or class is negligible— The results are always perfection) Bring to a boil then simmer with a heavy lid on for about half an hour. If this is done properly you should have a crust of slightly burnt rice around the bottom and sides of the pot.” You are done! Lickety-split, perfect rice for any occasion. Not only is this recipe flawless, but the fact that he takes this time in the book to explain how to cook rice from a Chinese descent perspective has to have some kind of meaning. From an outsiders’ perspective standpoint, it seems obvious that he really wants to make a connection between food and culture. Although many spices belong in many food cultures, certain ones in very specific combinations are the home to many cultures. For example, Wah goes into specifics such as the use of Ginger all throughout Diamond Grill.

Italian Inspired Cuisine 

pasta
Burst

Although some of the most common herbs and spices used to cook Chinese cuisine are ginger, garlic, green onions, star anise, cassia bark, and cassia powder, these are far different than that of, say, Italian. Italian dishes are known for being some of our favorites here in America. You might even drive past one on the street. Some of the most commonly used herbs and spices in Italian food are hot pepper, oregano, bay leaves, basil, thyme, rosemary, sage, and parsley. This helps make up some of the most famous Italian meals, such as lasagna, spaghetti, chicken marsala, and many more. As most of us know, these foods are often absolutely delightful and show a real flair of the Italian culture.

Latin Inspired Dining 

close up burrito
Pexels

On that same note, Latin food has an entire array of delicious dishes that have completely different combinations. Although spicy and I are not the very best of friends, Latin dishes have some amazing herbs and spices. Namely, chili, garlic, cumin, saffron, cloves, and cilantro. Anywhere from tacos, pozole, tamales, empanadas, feijoada, to ever our Americanized nachos, one is sure to find something enticing. 

How food helps define culture

Like many other things, there’s more than just one aspect to culture. Furthermore, food is one of the most easily recognizable features of mainstream knowledge. When I think of Latin people, food and their families, I think about all the kindnesses I’ve been offered even just through food. Massive gatherings of family eating delicious homemade dishes made from scratch can be easily pictured when one thinks of the Latin food culture. The symbolic nature that food represents in Asian culture is at times mesmerizing, how perfect every single grain of rice is cooked with care. I cannot imagine the kind of skill and precision it takes to make some of the amazing food that we see in America here today, even the beautiful pieces of tableware blow me away with their fine, exquisite detail. On that same token, when I think of Italian food culture, I always think about the countless hours put into making these beautifully crafted pasta dishes, all by hand with care. I’ve heard many stories about how perfectly and precisely these meals are made, and a smile appears. 

HCXO