7 Charming Places to Explore in California

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Hi Her Campus lovers! You might know me now as the one from Cali that came to Washington for a new change of pace. I hear from a lot of people in Washington that they want to go to California because it is sunny, has many popular beaches, and for its coastline! After hearing this a lot, people also would tell me, “Bring me to Cali, take me to the best spots!” So, I thought, why not let everyone know the best places in my opinion. Just to let you guys know, there are so so so many beautiful, magical places, but I can’t name them all. These are the ones that should be visited first and the others come later. Some places have been known to attract tourists the most, but there are also some spots people do not quite know about! I hope you read further so if you are thinking of coming to California at any point in your life, you can refer to this list! This list is in NO particular order. 

1. La Jolla, San Diego

La Jolla in San Diego is known for its rugged coastline along with some trails with beautiful ocean views. If you want to go shopping after a nice beach day, there are also boutiques and restaurants by the water as an add on to the fun experience! 

2. Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco

The Golden Gate Bridge is an iconic, staple tourist location in California! This bridge was built in 1933 and tourists come to “Walk the Golden Gate Bridge” and or bike on it! Amazing views of the water and the city of San Francisco! Highly recommended as a historic destination spot!  

3. Walt Disney Museum, San Francisco

This museum went above and beyond my wildest dreams! It is located in the Presidio and it shows off the history of Walt Disney and the path it paved for the future of Disney! It shows off all of his ideas he had planned. Whimsical, child-like, pure, are the few of many words I would use to describe it. I went there this past summer and it exceeded my expectations of what I thought was going to be. If you are a Disney fan, go for the day (need more than two hours)!! 

4. Santa Cruz, CA

Santa Cruz is known as a place seen on many sweatshirts these days, but it so magical! It is so much fun to drive along the highway and take in the views that are indescribable! There is also a historic boardwalk: enjoy the beach on a hot, sunny day, eat some ice cream, ride the rides, and enjoy time with those you love most!

5. South Lake Tahoe, CA

South Lake Tahoe is located in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. This is a great place to enjoy nature: ski, going hiking, and take in the lake views and the crystal-clear waters! It is also known for its beaches such as El Dorado Beach and a great place for a vacation with the family! 

6. Yosemite, CA

Yosemite is any hiker’s dream! It is a national park with magnificent ancient sequoia trees, granite cliffs, and the Half Dome. There are sights for days! If you want to know one of the most well-known hiking places in the world and want to go on an adventure along with other tourist attractions, this is the place for you!  

7. Big Sur, CA

Last but not least, Big Sur! My oh my! There are seaside cliffs and views of a misty coastline! It is known for its “dramatic scenery” and views like no other! 

All of these places are so unique and have something for everyone in the family! Each place has multiple attractions within the big attraction, so it never gets boring! Trust me, these are legit and amazing! Take some amazing selfies, pictures, and make some memories everyone! 

HI! My name is Hannah Maslow and I am a freshman at CWU:) I like hanging with my friends on the weekend!