samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career > Her20s

19 Pieces of Advice for Every 2019 Graduate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CWU chapter.

Now that I am officially graduated, it is scary having to be out in the real world looking for a big girl job. In my last article I wrote about how to overcome the rejection of jobs. Now am I here to be extra cheesy! I thought I would give 19 pieces of advice for every recent graduated since we are the CLASS OF 2019!  

1. You just got your degree, you earned it, you have talent, and you deserve a job.

It is hard to find a job. It is literally like a full time job to find a job, but you earned your degree. Do not settle for a the bare minimum. Go after that job you want.

2. Listen, Listen, Listen!

Super cliche, but they say that God gave you one mouth and two ears for a reason. Listen to people and continue learning from them.

3. There will hard times, but you can overcome them.

In the words of Adam Levine “it’s not always rainbows and butterflies, it’s compromise that moves us along.”

4. Surround yourself with great people.

Life’s too short to surround yourself with shitty people. Do yourself a favor and surround yourself with people who care about you, others, and put out good vibes.

5. Be kind to yourself.

I have always struggled with this one and will always continue to work on it. It is always important to be kind to yourself. Give yourself some grace, not everything is going to be perfect and if it is, that is kind of boring.

6. Never settle!

Life’s too short to be settling for things you do not want. Go out there and live the life you want to live.

7. Don’t give up!

It can be really hard some days, but after that little breakdown, get back up take on the world again. Not everyday or everything will be so scary.

8. Save your money!

Also, another thing I struggle with! But it is super important to save your money for more important things or for a rainy day. No, you do not need another pair of shoes, but girl you probably do need your oil changed.

9. Trust your gut, usually it is right.

Of course follow your heart, but if something does not feel right your gut will probably be right.

10. Celebrate even the small victories. 

Even if it is just something small, it is still a huge part of your life, so celebrate it!

11. Stop caring so much about what you look like.

It is more important to spend your time living your life to fullest, rather than obsessing over how you look, because when you look back you’re going to wish you were there.

12. You may outgrow some people and that’s okay.

Some people just end up coming and going. It does not mean you didn’t like them or you had a falling out, it just means they were a part of different parts of your life and we should be grateful they were there for the ride.

13. It is okay to change your mind about what you want to do in life.

You grow as a person over time and you may come to realize you are not interested in what you had once known as your niche. It may be scary, but it is okay to change your mind and try something new. Who knows you may love it and be great at it!

14. Be confident!

Life after graduation can be scary. All of those job interviews and employers picking you a part can be terrifying. Just try and be as confident as you can. And if you lack confidence, like a lot of us do, well ‘fake it till you make it’.

15. Don’t hide from your mistakes.

Don’t hide from them, learn from them. It is a lot easier to just face the mistake head on, so you are able to change the outcome on the second try.

16. Be open to change. 

If you think life is going to be stagnant from here on out, well you got another thing coming. We and the world are constantly changing. Change is inevitable and you better be ready for it however big or small it may be.

16. Continue learning!

There is no point if you stop learning. Learn from others and from yourself. Engulf yourself in knowledge because when you stop learning you are dying.

17. Date good people.

Date someone who is going to be kind to you. Don’t waste your time on rude people. Spend time with someone who is going to complement your life and builds you up. 

18. Be true to yourself.

Don’t let others define who you want to be. Be true to yourself and don’t stray from your values.

19. Don’t be afraid to be uncomfortable.

Get out of your comfort zone. When you do there are so many possibilities out there. 

Now that you are graduated I want to wish you luck in the rest of your life. This is my last Her Campus article ever! Emily Masseth signing off for the last time :(

Stay tuned for HCCWU’s articles next year! Have a great summer,

HCXO

Her Campus CWU President and Writer Previous Her Campus CWU Events Director Current student at Central Washington University  Major: Public Relations Minor: Advertising, Sports Business, and Interdisplinary Honors I love writing about anything and everything! Politics, fashion, mental health, and many others! I hope to be able to utilize my skills/ endeavors from Her Campus, along with other clubs, organizations, and experience in order to pursue a career in PR.