Us Girls Got The Moves On and Off The Ice, Ice Baby

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

My enitre childhood and into my teenage years revolved around my brothers and their travel, high school and college hockey teams. I ate, slept, and breathed hockey…you could say hockey is apart of who I am, it is in my blood. There was a time that I lost touch with the sport when I went into college and it was my life to live, no more traveling to Scranton for hockey games every week, no more ice cold rinks (temporarily of course, you always find yourself back with the things you love). But recently I found my way back into the sport that gives me something that is indescriable, almost like the feeling you get when you watch Herb Brook’s speech in my favorite movie, Miracle. 

Myself (peep the heels) and my brother to the right of me and basically my other brother to the left of me at the Scranton hockey senior game

Not too long along, I got hired to be a part of the Game Night Staff for the Washington Capitals and now I feel like I can never leave the sports world again. The energy that fills the Verizon Center is something everyone needs to experience and the pure joy/exciment that runs through the fans bodies easily rubs off on everyone else. Although, any job in sports is dominated by men I feel as though being the minority in this situation is beneficial. One, as women, we get to prove these men wrong that we are just as passionate or even more so about the sport. We get beside ourselves when our team scores, muscles tense during over time and angry when our team does not come out on top. At every turn we can impress them with our ability to be sweet and knowledagble about the sport we love. The arena is filled with men, naturally, so seeing a women working at said arena is like seeing a fish out of water. At some moments they try to flirt with you, get free things or ask questions as if you wouldn’t know what you’re talking about…but nothing is better than batting your long, blackest of black eyelashes and killing them with sass and your own dominance, (#respect). Us women bring light and a breath of fresh air to the ol’ boys club that is the world of sports, something that men can’t bring themselves. I advise women to try out a job in sports, feel the energy and the confidence it brings you when they see you can hang with the best of them. 

Men never really expect a women to work in sports and their first question is always, “So why are you working here, are you a sports marketing major?” Uhm….NO, it’s because the sport makes up my being and I don’t have to make a career out of it to love it. It is interesting the stereotypes, with women sports journalists on ESPN or women in sports in general, there always has to be a hidden agenda for why we are doing what we are doing within the sports community. So take a hint boys and maybe some notes because as the old saying goes…or partially that of, we can do anything better than you. 

Myself, the two other hokcey managers  and the coaches for our high school’s team banquet #ProvingThemWrong