This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

President Trump’s Inauguration:

A few weeks ago, the day before I attended the Women’s March on Washington, I attended the Inauguration of our 45th President, Donald J. Trump.  Despite all disappointments with what was said and what was done this election, I have done my best to stay hopeful about his presidency. I have experience interning for our government and have studied in Washington DC for almost two years. In the past I have lived in West Virginia, Massachusetts, New York, and New Jersey. I have family from Florida, California, and Washington. Despite the geographical and political diversity of the people I know, I was just as shocked as anyone about the election results. But, despite all this I was excited to attend the inauguration with my family. It is hard to not want to witness history.

It was a cold, rainy day; and as soon as the newly sworn in President started speaking it began to rain even more. Yet, there were so many people there. People that me, as a female college student in a liberal city, do not run into often.

I learned that inaugurations are about so much more than the swearing in of a President. An inauguration does not necessarily need to be about America coming together, and it does not need to be a big victory lap. It is hope for those who have lost it, comfirmation their beliefs are being represented. For many, it is their voice finally being heard in the union of the three branches of our government. This inauguration was no different. Despite the rain people were excited for a new path for the next four years.

And the inauguration itself was beautiful. It was about unity, and it was about change. President Trump’s speech reflects that.  But, over the boo’s it was hard to feel hopeful about the  fate of the country itself.

“Holy s***” I thought to myself as I began to applaud along with the crowd. Donald Trump is President of the United States. I was standing with my younger sister, older step sister, mom and step dad. School had been cancelled that day due to the inauguration, and part of my family had come down to see it.

Unlike past years, the city was swamped with protesters on top of the inauguration attendees.

I heard boo’s, to every single democrat who had walked on stage. I could hardly hear Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer’s speech over the crowd. It was funny because he was talking about accepting people.

Speeches were given, smiles were exchanged and words had been prayed. The swearing in was over. Now it was time for the speech. This Inaugural Address would be his first speech as the 45th President of the United States. After getting up at 5 am, rushing through crowds of protesters and Trump supporters, this is the moment I had been waiting for. So standing next to my family I watched President Trump take the podium, and recite the words that would set the course of our nation for the next four years. As a female college student who did not vote for Trump, you could say I was just a bit critical of every word that comes out of our President’s mouth.

But, so much energy was in the air. We were in the silver section, behind the reflection pool of the Capitol. He began with thanking Chief Justice Roberts, and the past Presidents who were there. Then, he thanked the Obama’s and when I say he thanked them, he really did sincerely thank them – right before he tore into all their policies and discussed how he would replace them with some of his own. But anyway. If I could just take one line form the whole speech it would be “We are transferring power from Washington D.C., and giving it back to you, the people.” That was the line that really resonated with people. It got a huge applause and really sums up why a lot of people support him. The inauguration was everything it should have been. It was a vague speech, full of hope laying out changes to be made.

With that, we left the national mall with thousands of others in search for food and restrooms. We passed students, mothers, fathers, brothers, and sisters. Some of them were protesting. But, unlike earlier that morning I did not see the Trump signs, or the anti-trump signs. I just saw thousands of people holding up signs, and regardless of the message on them, they showed that those people cared. They were using their voice and regardless of what they were using it for, they were yelling to make America something that it has not yet been. Power to the people.