Student Body Uneasy After Town Hall With President Garvey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

A town hall meeting: an informal public function used to enhance discussion, transparency, and communication. It is frequently used in the political realm to give average citizens direct access to ask candidates pressing questions or voice concerns.

This year SGA hosted its second annual town hall meeting with President Garvey, where the average student had direct access to ask the head of The Catholic University of America pressing questions and voice concerns about the University. However, just as candidates dance around answers to preserve their image, the student body saw similar behavior by President Garvey.

There is no doubt that standing in front of the student body without any support from other members of the administration is a challenge. The fact that this event even occurred is pivotal. Unfortunately, students left the town hall meeting feeling uneasy, frustrated, discouraged, and with unanswered questions.

CUA’s claim to fame is community. As a small university with thriving religious and campus participation, many would state that CUA is their home and that he or she enjoys the sense of community on campus. But let’s take this a step further. We need to dissect the idea of community. Who compromises the community at CUA? If you answer all CUA members, students, staff, faculty, and administration, your answer is incorrect.

Roughly 75% of the questions at the town hall addressed the unrecognized student organization CUAllies. Other questions addressed the lack of diversity on campus and resources for minorities. Another question addressed the outdated regulations for pregnant professors or students and the failure to instill maternity leave as a normal policy measure.

The assortment of questions and the subset of indirect answers provided, force us to beg the question: does the administration really consider the concerns of the students? Furthermore, is the town hall just used as a symbolic measure, so that administration can make claims of transparency and greater communication?

Such questions leave a heavy burden on CUA students. The outcome of the 2016 Town Hall with President Garvey indicates that we as students need to do more. We need to come together, engage with administration, utilize our education to provoke change, and ensure that our voices and concerns are heard. By failing to recognize CUAllies, by lacking greater diversity among students and faculty, by the limited resources for minorities, and by the out of date policies for pregnant teachers and students, we are not meeting the basic standards of living in community.Since the administration is not meeting our expectations, how are students going to greater cultivate a genuine community at CUA, where no one is excluded or denied access to resources?

Photos taken by Alycia Monaco for SGA: 1, 2, 3

Briana Bee is a senior at the Catholic University of America. She is completing her Bachelor's Degree in American Political Science with a Minor in Public Health Policy and Theology. Briana has interned for Congress, the Environmental Protection Agency, PA State Senate, and Irish Parliament. She is extremely passionate about women's rights, health and nutrition, current issues, and her lipstick. Briana joined HerCampus CUA because she wants to raise awareness on important topics and be a voice for women and the greater CUA community. 
After living in 3 different countries including 3 different states in the USA, it is no surprise that Roisin Gibbons decided to come to the nation's capitol to pursue a career in Social Work at CUA. Whil she did run away to Australia, her love for DC and the HC family brought her back home. Now a semester away from her senior year, Roisin is a HerCampus CUA writer, Co-President of CSWNA, Active Minds Fundraising Chair, and Marketing Chair for NRHH. Along with that, her own blog and volunteer experiences, she finds time to be a fashionista, singer, adventurer, and model for GUS Vintage Goods in California over school breaks. Roisin hopes to make a difference for victims of human trafficking and alcohol and drug addiction as a Social Worker and believes that her work with communities and blogging has put her ahead of the game.