This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

One second we are happy with a big smile on our faces, the next second we are angry and giving death stares. And don’t even get me started on unexplainable sadness triggered by things like that one episode of Friends when Ross and Rachel decided to go on a break for real (STILL NOT OVER IT). Periods like to control emotions more than we’d like to admit. So, here is a playlist where you can find some great tunes to listen to when “Aunt Flo” makes you happy, sad, or anywhere in between:

Happy

If you’re lucky, most of the time on your period you remain your normal, happy self. To all girls who can overcome PMS and refrain from clawing someone else’s eyes out for their *essentially nonexistent* resting b!tch face, here are some songs to keep you going! (KUDOS)

“Fun” by Pitbull featuring Chris Brown

This song is super upbeat, very catchy, and just super fun! I am always in a good mood when this song is on and it has a great beat to allow you to jam out and keep you chipper and smiling on your period, instead of being down in the dumps.

“Up ‘N Away” by Italobrothers

This is another upbeat song that will have you jumping and jamming out all over the place.

Sad

There are times when our period makes us feel a little down and the teeniest things make us sob like we just watched The Notebook for the first time. Put down the Ben & Jerry’s and cope with your sadness with these songs!

“Hello” by Adele

This song is enough to make you ball your eyes out, even without it being “that time of the month”. If you need a sadness fix, this song is extremely powerful and beautiful, and will definitely help you let out your tears. BUT, just some friendly advice: DO NOT call your ex a thousand times. (Sorry, Adele…)

“Young and Beautiful” by Lana Del Rey

Lana Del Rey’s soft, yet haunting voice, gives me chills every time I listen to this song. Not to mention the connotations of Daisy and Gatsby’s forbidden love will for sure get those tears flowing.

Angry

It would be really weird if cramps, bloating, and the feeling of someone crushing your uterus DIDN’T make you angry! Things as small as someone sitting an inch closer than normal to you in class (or them simply just breathing) can set you off. Here are a couple of songs to compliment those tiny devil horns that seem the appear on your head once every month…

“The Hills” by The Weeknd

The Weeknd has a natural way of making super inappropriate and intense things sound normal and sweet. Thanks for creating a song that allows us to express our anger in a smooth and sexy way!

“Heartbeat” by Childish Gambino

This song starts out chill, but builds up and gets really intense. Childish Gambino has no problem telling it like it is, and that is something we can all relate to when “SHE” is visiting for the week. These lyrics certainly cut deep, and will remind you to NEVER forgive that boy that dumped you back in the fifth grade.

Jax is a senior Psychology Major with a Minor in Media & Communications studies at The Catholic University of America in the nation's capital. She is originally from New York and holds two citizenships with the United States and Switzerland.