girl with arms open in nature
girl with arms open in nature
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CUA chapter.

School had always been easy for me from the beginning. I graduated high school with a 4.6 GPA, took honors and AP classes, and not to mention courses at the local community college. To some extent grades still come easy. College was the first time in my life I felt as if I really needed to study. I studied not only before tests, but also after classes to process what I was learning. It was the first-time things weren’t as easy, but I welcome this feeling as I live my life seeking challenges. 

I never worked while high school was in session, aside from the occasional babysitting gig. My challenge at that time was being a student athlete for a contact sport that most girls aren’t drawn to, Rugby. Training to be the best athlete I could be for my team became my side-job. After a shoulder injury last year, I took a break from rugby and life was pretty easy again. I had more than enough time for the balance of life: school and friends. I went abroad, studied, and relaxed.After my six-month adventure abroad, I started looking for jobs and planning my semester so that I would be busy.

In my second to last semester, I am electing 6 courses for a total of 18 credit hours. Of these, one class is a thesis seminar in Spanish, and another requires 4 hours a week spent at a free legal clinic in addition to the 2.5 hours of class a week. I also lift weights 4 days a week to stay in shape and have a weekend waitressing job. Needless to say, I have a lot going on, and it’s been catching up to me. 

I am missing out on so many things by spreading myself thin. For one, I want to sleep in some days, but with my workload, it would mean less sleep for the next night. I unexpectedly miss the relief of it being the end of the week and having a weekend to look forward to. During the week, I count my days to the “weekend” of waitressing ahead of me. While waitressing, I look forward to my “days off” that I only have to sit through classes. The hardest part is having to say no to the people I love. If my boyfriend wants a Friday night date night, my answer is, “if you want to wait until after 10:30.” If my friends want to go out I often respond, “sorry I have work,” or, “I need to be up early tomorrow.” 

While all of this is hard, I think it’s a realistic glimpse into  post-grad life. It isn’t the idealistic picture we paint in our heads. It isn’t being married with kids,a dog, and a white picket fence. It’s working hard for every penny you earn, and using that earned money for boring activities like bills and groceries. I realize I won’t have the time  to be caught up on all my favorite Netflix and Hulu shows. Being an adult is learning how to juggle life. 

Gabrielle is a senior Political Science and Spanish for International Service double major at The Catholic University of America.
Jessica is a senior at The Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C. from northern New Jersey. She is majoring in media and communication studies and minoring in writing and rhetoric. When she's not busy writing for Her Campus, she enjoys working as the editor in chief of CUA's independent student newspaper "The Tower," watching "Scandal" on Hulu, and exploring D.C.